Any suggestions catching wild cow.

Help Support CattleToday:

Glad you caught her but turning her back loose was like taking your wife to the courthouse then not signing the divorce papers. She should have lived in the trailer til the next sale and then gone IMO.

Crazy women and crazy cattle make for some good stories and good adventures but its a lot more fun when they belong to somebody else.

Reminds me of my x wife. She was pretty good looking and that was one reason i would always decide to over look her bad disposition too.

Finally wised up and learned there were too many good women out their to keep a crazy one like I had. One of the best decisions I have ever made.

I would highly recommend to not hang onto ill tempered women or cattle. They are both easily replaced.
Did you try roping her?

The pasture i turned her loose in doesn't have any trees for her to hide in and isn't but 20 acres thats crossed fence making it two 10 acre fields with a working pen that is accessible from each 10 acre field. The working pen has a sweep tub, shoot and head gate.

The pen and a 1/4 pond is located right in the middle of the 20 acres that is divided into 10 acre fields. So i can catch cattle from either field and water from either field. I can run about 20 head at a time in the tub and shoot, back my trailer up to the head gate and let them walk right into the trailer.

So now miss crazy cow is playing by my rules now. I can hop on the 4 wheeler have her caught and loaded in less than 15 minutes.

The only reason i put her in that pasture is because the sale isnt until Monday. And she has diffinately earned herself a ride to the sale barn Sunday morning.

I mean what I said about keeping a wild cow isnt worth keeping. Not for me anyhow.

The only reason i ended up catching her at 1:30 a.m in the morning was pure luck. I was only looking to see if i could spot light her to see if she was still in that pasture which worked. She was out of the woods and was out in the open field.

I would have never thought things would have worked out the way they did in catching her.

Most of my attempts were during the day time to catch her out side of the one night that I waited until 10:30 p.m on her thinking she would come to the feed bucket I was baiting her with in the stock trailer.

After catching her the way i did last night. If I ever try to catch another one. Night time will be the way i try to do it for alot of reasons.

I think I know now how to catch wild cows in a way that is better than even using dogs and roping them.

Don't have time to explain how right now but, I am almost tempted to start catching wild cows on the side just to make a little pocket money.

I would have gladly paid $ 200 for someone to have roped that cow and put her in the trailer for me.

Think I know of a way of trapping them in a stock trailer sort of like trapping wild hogs.

Called two different guys who ropes, catches wild cows. One was supposed to call me back and let me know one way or another the next day but never called back.

The other couldn't come until next week. I don't think a cow left by itself will stay put for very many days before it goes some where else.

I think there might be another chapter or two to write yet on this now more 'wise' cow, i look forward to updates.
There won't be no problem catching it now. That divided 20 acres with working pen is where i winter them at. I will be running them through vaccinating and worming them as soon i get time.

I have been catching her in that pen ever since she was a calf. I could catch her and have her at the sale barn by 9 a.m in the morning if i wanted too.

But I am not in no hurry now that I have her to where i can catch her. I want to do a little research as to when i can get the best price for her. She is going to the sale before i move them back to summer pasture.

I am going to take a little break from things now that I can. For the last several weeks I have had one thing after another that had to be done that couldn't wait. Drilled 40 acres of wheat, used a leased drill that I had rented for two days that had to be done right then. Had to replace the floor in my stock trailer that had to be replaced before i moved cattle in for the winter, then the wife ended up in the hospital for 7 days. I was working my regular job, feeding her horse's and our pets after I would get off work, then stay all night at the hospital. Then set up a catch pen so that I could move cows back for the winter. Then move them back. That all had to be done by a certain time.

On top of that I had made plans to go to a auction to buy a dump truck. Had put in for 3 days vacation in order to go to that. Had been waiting all year to go to it. When the wife ended up in the hospital i didn't think I was going to be going to the auction but, she was released 1 week prior to the auction.

Had a friend who is a desil mechanic that was going to go with me to help inspect potential trucks before auction day. And was going to drive a truck back if i bought one.

But because of spending all week at the hospital I hadn't talked to him to let him know wether or not I was still going to the auction. So two days before i decided to go he couldn't get off work to go.

So i ended up going to the auction by myself. Did buy a dump truck. Left my personal truck at the auction yard. Drove the dump truck 140 miles home. My wife who had just got out of the hospital a week earlier drove me the 140 miles back so I could get my personal truck and bring it home.

On top of all of that I was spending every spare minute I had trying to catch that crazy cow.

But now I don't have anything that just has to be done immediately like taking that cow to the sale in the morning.

Yes she is going to be sold sometime soon. But it's not that pressing or something that has to be done right away.

I have an appointment with a Neuro surgeons physician on the 19th to go over the results of an MRI that I had done a while back to determine if he thinks I need back surgery. So i guess that's my next pressing thing of importance that I have to do.

I am getting tired of having to take care of things all of the time. Don't mind working at all but, don't like being rushed.

I am getting tired of having to take care of things all of the time. Don't mind working at all but, don't like being rushed.
It is difficult when you are that person. The one with the answers, the back, the muscles, the experience and the drive to do it all.
Even more so if you happen to be that person for the extended family.
Been there and done it and I told my wife a year ago, I wanted to be someone else for awhile.

Dang. I about fell out. 😆😅🤣 The ex wife rope and all had me crying alligator tears.
Yea sometimes easier to mess with cows at night.
I can't stand being rushed either. Ticks me off. Yet I can't stand being late. My husband King of a doodle when it's time to be somewhere. 😆

It is difficult when you are that person. The one with the answers, the back, the muscles, the experience and the drive to do it all.
Even more so if you happen to be that person for the extended family.
Been there and done it and I told my wife a year ago, I wanted to be someone else for awhile.
You couldn't be more right about all of that. You pretty well summed it all up.

Used too before i started developing health issues none of the stuff I mentioned would have been an issue at all.

I have always enjoyed working and solving problems but being in pain alot is aggravating.

I developed Bursidious in both shoulders about 3 years ago and that is really painful. Nerve realized just how much a person uses their shoulders when your working. But I have been able to get by with cortizone shots every 4 or 5 months. Have had back problems for years, was sent to a Neuro surgeon years ago but found surgery wasn't necessary at that time. Gave me some medication and wanted me to start physical therapy which I never went to nor took the medication.

Back then I only had like brief periods of soreness in my back. Learned to not over work my back and didn't have as much problems with it. Up until about 3 years ago. Started having my right thigh getting numb. Then it advanced to sharp contractions like the one that caused me to fall off my tractor this summer.

Kind of have mixed feelings about this appoint with the Neurosurgeon physian. They have mentioned some kind of pain management injections and therapy which might be ok.

But I don't even like hearing the word surgery. Had said I wouldn't have it done if it comes to that. But I am having more and more trouble standing for very long periods of time. Just going to have to see what happens.

Sure no fun getting old. And i don't consider 60 old.

Pain wears on a person terribly. I don't have anything going on as bad as you speak of,
but somedays it is really hard to focus on my work, plus the sleep loss.

There won't be no problem catching it now. That divided 20 acres with working pen is where i winter them at. I will be running them through vaccinating and worming them as soon i get time.

I have been catching her in that pen ever since she was a calf. I could catch her and have her at the sale barn by 9 a.m in the morning if i wanted too.

But I am not in no hurry now that I have her to where i can catch her. I want to do a little research as to when i can get the best price for her. She is going to the sale before i move them back to summer pasture.

I am going to take a little break from things now that I can. For the last several weeks I have had one thing after another that had to be done that couldn't wait. Drilled 40 acres of wheat, used a leased drill that I had rented for two days that had to be done right then. Had to replace the floor in my stock trailer that had to be replaced before i moved cattle in for the winter, then the wife ended up in the hospital for 7 days. I was working my regular job, feeding her horse's and our pets after I would get off work, then stay all night at the hospital. Then set up a catch pen so that I could move cows back for the winter. Then move them back. That all had to be done by a certain time.

On top of that I had made plans to go to a auction to buy a dump truck. Had put in for 3 days vacation in order to go to that. Had been waiting all year to go to it. When the wife ended up in the hospital i didn't think I was going to be going to the auction but, she was released 1 week prior to the auction.

Had a friend who is a desil mechanic that was going to go with me to help inspect potential trucks before auction day. And was going to drive a truck back if i bought one.

But because of spending all week at the hospital I hadn't talked to him to let him know wether or not I was still going to the auction. So two days before i decided to go he couldn't get off work to go.

So i ended up going to the auction by myself. Did buy a dump truck. Left my personal truck at the auction yard. Drove the dump truck 140 miles home. My wife who had just got out of the hospital a week earlier drove me the 140 miles back so I could get my personal truck and bring it home.

On top of all of that I was spending every spare minute I had trying to catch that crazy cow.

But now I don't have anything that just has to be done immediately like taking that cow to the sale in the morning.

Yes she is going to be sold sometime soon. But it's not that pressing or something that has to be done right away.

I have an appointment with a Neuro surgeons physician on the 19th to go over the results of an MRI that I had done a while back to determine if he thinks I need back surgery. So i guess that's my next pressing thing of importance that I have to do.

Good onya buying that dump truck, I know you have been keeping an eye out for one for a while, I'd love to see photos of it when you get sorted. I know how you feel, my life is a bit like that at the moment.

Ken

Latest posts