Wild Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

terra8186

Reaction score
Two months ago while I was working I received a phone call from my wife. We owned 3 calves. She told me a heifer calf was waiting outside our gate. It wasn't ours. We opened the gate and it went right in. I might mention that within 3 miles either way of me I know of 3 other people that cattle.

We asked a neighbor who we saw just purchased some calves. They told us that they had just seen a "lost Cows" sign on a telephone pole. We called the person and they came out and ended up selling us this calf. He also told us that they had another one missing. They had purchased them and 2 days later they broke through their fence. One showed up at our house after 2 days. The other one hadn't been seen until 2 weeks ago. It had been hiding in the corn fields and drinking out of a local creek for 6 weeks.

Now, this calf is showing up at our house at night. Sometimes it spends all night outside of our fence just visiting our calves.

Last week my wife and I saw it at 1:30 in the morning and we decided to try to run it into our pen. My wife went on one side of our pond and I went on the other. We tried to make it run into our pen, but instead it ran toward my wife and she moved out of the way (probably a smart move seeing it weighs 700 lbs)

After that adventure I built an electric fence in the area that it had been walking. I was hoping that it would walk back in this area, and go to the feed I had been leaving out for it. The calf stopped coming up into that area and now it walks between my neighbors property and mine.

Last night it wanted in our fence, so it knocked it down and let one of our calves out. Luckily our calve just waited at the gate for us to let it back in.

We watch it but we know it will run off when we come outside.

These are the things I like about raising livestock. It makes great conversation and enjoyable time with the kids.

Latest posts