wild dogs

Help Support CattleToday:

brimmer X

Reaction score
After being chased from the woods back to my truck, have the official OK from the Sheriff to protect myself and property. Before moving the cows to a differenct pasture, I made a brief look in the woods before reaching the Petit Jean River, when I was chased about 40 yards back to my truck by a pack of wild dogs. It really caught me off guard. But, this fat boy can still move when he has too.

The Sheriff was really supportive and put the information on his county facebook page. Many of the neighbors have taken up the cause after he made the story public. I don't believe the dogs will be much of a problem for long. I'm not a facebook member, but could read the comments on his site, till it was removed. It was interesting to see the differences in how people expressed their opinions on the subject.

M-5, I agree. Seriously doubt these dogs could ever be tamed, not to mention the resources that would be spent on them. Dad, would not tolerate a biting dog or one that acted aggressive. If it showed any tendencies, he was a dead dog walking. We only had one dog that got a pass. A golden retriever that got old, arthretic, and hard hearing. Grandpaw startled him from a sleep. Bit grandpaw across the fore arm. He yelded the dogs name and he immediately let loose. The dog hated what he had done. Best dog we ever had.

brimmer X":35ivzuyi said:
It was interesting to see the differences in how people expressed their opinions on the subject.

That's a good way to describe it.

I'm all for saving the saveable but all are not saveable.

Be careful out there and I'd be packin' if I go out there.

I think someone that gets "enjoyment" out of hurting a friendly dog should be knocked in the head. But I'll cut a pack of aggressive dogs down in a heartbeat.

A mean dog that doesn't have the instinct to run first from you is a real threat to every little kid around.

Commercialfarmer":3p0y3fnq said:
I think someone that gets "enjoyment" out of hurting a friendly dog should be knocked in the head. But I'll cut a pack of aggressive dogs down in a heartbeat.

A mean dog that doesn't have the instinct to run first from you is a real threat to every little kid around.

Now I am a dog lover have a Jack Russell laying beside me right now.
Problem with dogs and it is every one is the pack mentality, all it takes is one and
the rest will join in the trill of the chase and kill. This mentality has caused buzzards
to take out a many one.
You can take three or four good dogs let them get together and they turn into a pack of killers.
99.9% of people will defend their dog you caught in the act thinking he laid on the porch all
night and 30 minutes after they went to bed he was four miles down the road with his buddies
up to no good. Doesn't matter if it is a Chihuahua or Rottweiler they are all the same size in the pack.
As much as we like our dogs they never will be anything but a dog that chase and kill is hard wired into everyone.
Neighbor through the woods a few years back would take in any stray thrown out.
Never could get it through his head that those pets of his laying on the porch were terrorizing the whole country. Had a bad outbreak of buzzards I think that is what got them.

A pack of them killed my wife's miniature Dachshund a few weeks ago. I'm pretty sure she cared more for that dog than she does for me. I don't want to go through that again. And I won't; at least not wIth that bunch.

Most of the replies here are pretty much how I feel also. Had a 3 day old calf come up missing 2 months ago. Moma looked for it 2 days. It never turned up. I wonder if the pack was responsible. Went back 2 days after the first attack and 4 dogs were present. Numbers are decreasing now. I reported the first incident to the Sheriff to establish a record and warning for others living and owning livestock and pets in the area. It is my belief they have taken up the cause as well. It sure works better when most are on the same page.

Caustic Burno":2ppc88lh said:
Commercialfarmer":2ppc88lh said:

Now I am a dog lover have a Jack Russell laying beside me right now.
Problem with dogs and it is every one is the pack mentality, all it takes is one and
the rest will join in the trill of the chase and kill. This mentality has caused buzzards
to take out a many one.
You can take three or four good dogs let them get together and they turn into a pack of killers.
99.9% of people will defend their dog you caught in the act thinking he laid on the porch all
night and 30 minutes after they went to bed he was four miles down the road with his buddies
up to no good. Doesn't matter if it is a Chihuahua or Rottweiler they are all the same size in the pack.
As much as we like our dogs they never will be anything but a dog that chase and kill is hard wired into everyone.
Neighbor through the woods a few years back would take in any stray thrown out.
Never could get it through his head that those pets of his laying on the porch were terrorizing the whole country. Had a bad outbreak of buzzards I think that is what got them.

I don't disagree that somebody's good dog left to roam won't be someone elses menace. I don't blame the roaming dog as much as the one letting them roam. A dog chasing cattle around here is a dead dog. But, I don't terminate every dog I see.

From knowing your proximity to Houston, I imagine our roaming dog populations are quite different. I can probably figure out in an hours time where half of them belong. When they get in a pack is when the trouble generally starts. Its been a while since we've dealt with that.

By my original statement, I was trying to convey I don't condone inhumane treatment, and think that anyone that enjoys it is disturbed and probably a bigger threat to society. I'd have no qualms about putting down an aggressive dog or 10, especially ones that people let roam to create havoc.

Others are on a case by case basis. Cattle chasing places them in route to a quick trial, verdict and sentencing. I don't like it, but I place the responsibility on the person who isn't being responsible.

My dog doesn't roam. She simply visits. This neighbor and that neighbor. I refuse to keep a dog on a chain or in a pen. If she and/or others start harming your cattle or chickens shoot her a$$.

We have an electric fence all the way around the yard. Our dogs haven't left the yard yet. But we shut the gate most nights, just so other dogs don't come in the yard. We live 3/4's of a mile off the road, and our dogs have killed over 10 dogs in our yard so far. Some have had collars but most don't, but the best advice is SSS.

Latest posts