Wifes Idea..

Help Support CattleToday:

melking":ipvoufxh said:
Nice job Sky, I have built many a deck in my time and I will second what I think Jo said. Wait 1 years and the slather the daylights out of the vinyl deck paint. It will last you twice as long.

Thanks yea definately have to do that. I thought about building it with 2x material for decking but decided the additional cost probably wouldnt be worth it.

Jogeephus":199vc9hd said:
I hate to have to be the one to break the news to you but ...... its not big enough. Your wife will be telling you this shortly but I just thought I'd prime you. You should have made it twice as big of course that would be large enough either.

In all seriousness though, you might look into getting some of that thick vinyl type decking paint and apply it in a year or so after the wood has had time to cure well. That 5 quarter board is bad to splinter in 10 years and that decking paint can save for some trouble in the future when you might not be as energetic as you are now.

Now JO knows... :lol2: :lol:

I love building things with my husband. Last summer we moved a barn and he got mad a threw a ladder...I'm still laughing about it.

A.Lane":38eehj6y said:
I love building things with my husband. Last summer we moved a barn and he got mad a threw a ladder...I'm still laughing about it.

Just dont try to wallpaper with him. Its a divorce waiting to happen..

skyhightree1":31wbgpxm said:
melking":31wbgpxm said:
Nice job Sky, I have built many a deck in my time and I will second what I think Jo said. Wait 1 years and the slather the daylights out of the vinyl deck paint. It will last you twice as long.

Thanks yea definately have to do that. I thought about building it with 2x material for decking but decided the additional cost probably wouldnt be worth it.
Hired an old boy to build be a deck about 25 years ago. Must have used green lumber. Within a year that stuff was warped, edges turned up, crooked....had to be careful where you put your feet.

That will happen with decking boards too thats why thought about using the 2x material but hopefully with me using screws on the whole deck that will eliminate or atleast curb alot of those boards warping up. I have to put up a board fence and thought about using my nailgun but i plan on using screws on that too.

skyhightree1":391v66qb said:
I decided the 5/4 decking boards was best for the top rail for more room to set your beer on

It all looks good, except for that Phillips head screw. If you try the Torx (star drive) sometime you'll throw all the Phillips head screws away. I bought my first ones because when I went to the hardware store they were out of the other ones, so I decided to try a box. I'll never buy another Phillips or square drive screw.