Why wean calves?

Help Support CattleToday:

I have always given vaccinations for my own welfare as well as for the benefits of the next owner. The MLV nasal sprays have gone a long way preventing sicknesses in nursing calves as well as all but stopped by cases of summertime pneumonia and IBR after weaning. Vaccination shots are cheap compared to antibiotics and the weight loss that comes with a calf getting sick.
A single dose of killed vaccine is enough to give you a booster effect on the IBR and BRSV if the calves had intranasal vaccine earlier in life. While I'm sure buyers would prefer more coverage, you're mitigating enough risk to make them worth buying.

@elkwc LOL - I was not trying to ruffle feathers. Just stating a fact - 1 dose of killed vaccine is like paying for it and squirting it on the ground. Without the 2nd dose, you totally wasted your time and money. This is easily verified. "With killed vaccines, the first dose presents the antigen to the immune system, resulting in a small immune response, but little to no memory."
MLV are cheaper - but it takes better management.
I don't vaccinate my calves at weaning because they get two doses of MLV at 3 and 4 months of age (plus a nasal Inforce 3 at birth). I am able to use MLV because my cowherd is vaccinated every 12 months with MLV.
Jeanne I will continue to follow the advice of my vets and try to provide what my buyers desire. All our replacements and anything retained longer than 30 days will get a second round of shots. This fall those that will be marketed 2-4 weeks after weaning will not.

Lmao. I wonder what my 8 month old 660lb average weight steers weighed before I shrunk them so bad? $1250 now (not $700) is better than $1450 in two months. It's weird they pay me so well (and the same guy keeps buying them) since they won't do anyone any good
Probably 700 to 720 if weighed right off the cow. Maybe more if you have to haul them a long distance.
English must be your second language. If so I will try to make it clearer next time. The post was about weaning early, not 8 month old calves and was using dollars not loonies. Maybe you should ask this buyer if he would rather have your calves weaned for 30 days or so and would he pay a premium. Let us know what he says.

Is comparing what a feedlot pays for feed and what avg Joe pays really apples to apples? Avg Joe is probably not selling to the same buyer or under the same circumstances as the feedlot either.
I think $1 COG is pretty attainable for average Joe if they are in a farming area. If they're buying 50 lb bags and liquid feed, then that will hardly ever pay.

Probably 700 to 720 if weighed right off the cow. Maybe more if you have to haul them a long distance.
English must be your second language. If so I will try to make it clearer next time. The post was about weaning early, not 8 month old calves and was using dollars not loonies. Maybe you should ask this buyer if he would rather have your calves weaned for 30 days or so and would he pay a premium. Let us know what he says.
I don't have to ask him I can calculate it. If you look back at my previous posts, I said what mine weighed and what I got then a week later a friend with similar cattle who calves a month earlier sold 90+ day weaned, vaccinated calves that weighed 10lbs less (more than that according to you - his shrunk so much less) and we got the same $/h within $10. The "premium" is more than NEGATIVE $200.

Wow my ADG is better than I thought 2.64 lbs a day. What age and weight do you wean your calves early and what does it cost to have them gaining over 2.5lbs a day up to 700lbs?

I don't. Those 400 lb calves are the one's I buy when I need to add a few. I just don't understand why folks sell them at that weight. My weaning is similar to yours (7 to 8 months) but my calves are not that heavy. Some are but most are in the 600 - 625 lb range. I'm sure my cows are smaller than yours. The calves get weaned on pasture or pasture and hay and are fed about 1% body weight two or three times a week to get them eating good. They will gain about 1.25 lbs per day at this time of year, 1.5 in the spring/early summer. About 65 lb average over 45 days. I'm trying to get them weaned and healthy, not fat.
My calves are average quality from mixed breeds and I strive for average pricing. I have nothing to brag about except the fact that my calves are healthy and should remain so for the next person that owns them.

I don't. Those 400 lb calves are the one's I buy when I need to add a few. I just don't understand why folks sell them at that weight. My weaning is similar to yours (7 to 8 months) but my calves are not that heavy. Some are but most are in the 600 - 625 lb range. I'm sure my cows are smaller than yours. The calves get weaned on pasture or pasture and hay and are fed about 1% body weight two or three times a week to get them eating good. They will gain about 1.25 lbs per day at this time of year, 1.5 in the spring/early summer. About 65 lb average over 45 days. I'm trying to get them weaned and healthy, not fat.
My calves are average quality from mixed breeds and I strive for average pricing. I have nothing to brag about except the fact that my calves are healthy and should remain so for the next person that owns them.
Drought, cow stress from being old or young, some people when they go to catch calves at certain times. They take every thing over #400. They will be back next year to do it again.

I've hauled #400 before.. especially when they get up around that $2. #50-60 doesn't do a lot of good if you lose $.1-.2/# for the additional pounds.

I've hauled #400 before.. especially when they get up around that $2. #50-60 doesn't do a lot of good if you lose $.1-.2/# for the additional pounds.
I guess you'd have to define "a lot of good", but even $.2 back at 460lbs you're up $28 a head. Wean a calf at 550 lbs, sell for $1.7 and you are up $135.

My weaning is similar to yours (7 to 8 months) but my calves are not that heavy. Some are but most are in the 600 - 625 lb range. I'm sure my cows are smaller than yours. The calves get weaned on pasture or pasture and hay and are fed about 1% body weight two or three times a week to get them eating good. They will gain about 1.25 lbs per day at this time of year, 1.5 in the spring/early summer. About 65 lb average over 45 days.
Fence line weaning is lower stress and lower cost than any other method I know of I'll give it that.

If your calves are 612.5lbs at weaning, average 240 days old and had an average birth weight of 85lbs. ADG on momma is 2.2lbs

You wean them and they gain 65lbs in 45 days. ADG 1.44lbs. Same pasture or pasture and hay, 1% of body weight of feed 2-3x a week. You're paying for them to gain .76lb ADG less are you not? I have a hard time seeing that as a good business decision. If you can that's fantastic, please tell me all about it. I've always wanted to understand why folks think it's such a money maker when it's so difficult to get the numbers to objectively work on a small scale. Are there any 100 head feedlots in your area?

Its simple math using yesterdays sale report for #1 steers weaned 45 days. No labor or other expenses included besides feed ($320/ton) Spring calves weaned Oct.1
https://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/ams_1280.pdf Round numbers. 625 lb calf sold unweaned with a 6% shrink 625 x $1.50 x .94=$881
700 lb weaned calf with 3% shrink, 130 lbs of feed, 900 lbs of hay. 700 x $1.60 x .97 - $61 = $1025

In all actuality, feed would be a little less, additional vacs would be about $10 per head. Math is better for fall calves weaned in early summer for which the majority of mine are.

Looks to me like you just paid cash out of pocket money to do what your cows should be able to do as part of their job. Not to mention you have charged no yardage.
If calves are prepared properly 6% shrink is too much, unless you haul them like gcreek does, or your auction mart isn't doing their job properly

Looks to me like you just paid cash out of pocket money to do what your cows should be able to do as part of their job. Not to mention you have charged no yardage.
If calves are prepared properly 6% shrink is too much, unless you haul them like gcreek does, or your auction mart isn't doing their job properly
Interested in your methods. How should they be prepared to minimize shrink prior to shipment pre-weaned?

Interested in your methods. How should they be prepared to minimize shrink prior to shipment pre-weaned?
Calves can learn to eat dry hay and drink from water troughs while still on their mothers. Calves that are well on to these two things tend to bawl less and eat more. Dry hay "hardens" them. When we pull our calves off we do it quickly and quietly and they go straight to eating and drinking. It has been our experience that the difference in shrink doing these simple things compared to straight off grass and milk only is quite significant.

Its simple math using yesterdays sale report for #1 steers weaned 45 days. No labor or other expenses included besides feed ($320/ton) Spring calves weaned Oct.1
https://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/ams_1280.pdf Round numbers. 625 lb calf sold unweaned with a 6% shrink 625 x $1.50 x .94=$881
700 lb weaned calf with 3% shrink, 130 lbs of feed, 900 lbs of hay. 700 x $1.60 x .97 - $61 = $1025

In all actuality, feed would be a little less, additional vacs would be about $10 per head. Math is better for fall calves weaned in early summer for which the majority of mine are.
Simple math eh?
625 + 65 = 690 (not 700) x .97 = 669.3 x 1.5910 (your report) = $1064.86 - 61 - 10 = $993.86 - yardage - labor - death/sickness loss

You missed the point of my last post. I don't have to wean them to keep them.
625 + 118.8 (2.64. ADG) = 743 x .94 = 698.42 x 1.4693 (your report - unweaned) = $1026.19

I'm not bothering to argue the shrink even though my pasture is 3 miles from the mart and they don't feed and water anything till after the sale, your premium from your report built in even though it doesn't exist here...

Calves can learn to eat dry hay and drink from water troughs while still on their mothers. Calves that are well on to these two things tend to bawl less and eat more. Dry hay "hardens" them. When we pull our calves off we do it quickly and quietly and they go straight to eating and drinking. It has been our experience that the difference in shrink doing these simple things compared to straight off grass and milk only is quite significant.
Night before shipping catch at least 6 pairs. Sort anything else out. Water trough and good grass hay in the pen. Leave the truck and trailer backed to the chute. Next am head over at a little after 6am. Mart starts accepting calves at 7am and sale order determined by arrival of first load. Pairs laying around in the pen. Let anyone who wants to finish drinking water or milk do their thing. Quietly sort 6 cows away from calves and load them. Make the 3 mile journey. Usually get there 2nd. Go home, have breakfast and get organized. About 10 or 11 go back and catch everyone. Sort cows out (2 people) and take what's going. Last load to Mart about 4 pm. Calves sell by 10am the next morning.

Maybe the question should be: Why are people weaning dinks then trying to feed weight onto them instead of selecting for a cow that can do the whole job in a timely manner?
THIS is what I'm currently working towards.
Quite honestly I've started out with a giant mess! Calving all year long. Lost animals. Etc etc.
I'd like to work towards getting them all uniform calving windows. Sooooo much less work and much better performance!
When I can sell em all as group coming off of mama at 7 or 8 months mama will be doing what she was designed to do.

I've been taking what's sellable when the time comes to sell.

The above explains some of that for my situation.
Calving window is tightened up at one place. That's a start.
I'm also slightly overstocked. So when grass starts going away, I've gotta sell some.
Working on that as well!
I've just sold some 400 450lb calves. It would've been much better to leave them on mama to grow til they were 7 to 8 months and let mama do the work. But mamas gotta eat too. And the grass was going away fast