why is calving early important?

Help Support CattleToday:

I've read and heard several university folks say that the "best" time to calve is 30 days ahead of the peak grass growing period in your area. In Wisconsin this would mean calving in early April about 30 days ahead of the start of peak grass in mid May. By "best" they meant lowest cost as i recall.

Grass was much earlier this year with our strange weather. It is tempting to put the bulls in earlier but that would be like guaranteeing a cold snowy spring next year. So my bulls go in on June 18th as per plan to start calving March 27th. I hope to be done calving by late April.

For me, "early calving" would be shortly after 3/27. Hope to get most of them in one cycle and definitely all in two cycles = May 7th approx. Roughly 205 day weaning then about mid Nov.

fwiw, Jim

We start calving the heifers at the middle of January usually have about 35-40 of them, cows start calving around first of Feb, calve 150-200 of them. Reason being for us is the fact that we raise steers that are sold as natural locker beef and need to be finished to their full potential before the summer heat and flies kick in, we also sell an equal number of Black Angus seedstock bulls that need to be fully grown and in breeding shape by April. Even in the terrible winter we had in 2011 we have never had issues with the cold as long as we keep good watch on the cows, as well as breeding and selecting for calving ease with our heifers. Vaccinations are crucial for the health and well being of our livestock, it is responsible and good husbandry to protect your cattle from all potential sickness, as well as protecting your neighbors cattle as well. Also they can be a requirement by law like Bangs vaccinations for traveling.

I take it in Montana that the summer heat and fly control is almost next to impossible? Way to get ahead of the game.

maryk":370fmnqn said:
I take it in Montana that the summer heat and fly control is almost next to impossible? Way to get ahead of the game.

I am speaking simply in terms of getting the best possible feed converson out of the feedlot, not that it gets super hot but i'd rather not have a steer go off feed for a couple days because we got a week of 90's. If i can have them fat, dead and in the freezer by then we can have a full crew for haying and running the breeding groups on summer pasture at the upper ranch.

That's nice that you don't get to much heat, what about humidity? Will it be to bad when it comes time for haying and running? Will there be a fly control issue then?

Latest posts