Why are cattle fascinated with junk?

Help Support CattleToday:

Little Cow

Reaction score
Alright, now these cows have access to looose mineral, so I don't think it's that....

In one of the rented pastures, the owner had some metal scraps, wooden posts, etc... So, I stacked it all up nice and neat and ensured sharp edges were out of reach for passing herbivores. Well, this morning the cows were working together and diassembling my neat pile. I thought curiousity killed the cat, not the cow? :roll:

Cows are one of the most curious animals alive. My husband had to deal with that last weekend. We had a bunch of trees that had come down from the flood so he brought out a machine to stack them. Put in piles they make great windbreaks. Unfortunately the cows thought this was fun. He had one that was even trying to itch on the tree as he was moving it. :lol: He finally gave up and is going to try again when they are out of that field.
Guess it is just a cow thing.

When we cut the downed stuff in the pasure I neatly stacked it for the guy to come and get. By the time he got around to it, wha had been a neat half cord was scattered over a couple of acres. Now I just cut it and leave it and he can go searching for it. He would have to anyway

Little Cow":3baqry5y said:
Alright, now these cows have access to looose mineral, so I don't think it's that....

In one of the rented pastures, the owner had some metal scraps, wooden posts, etc... So, I stacked it all up nice and neat and ensured sharp edges were out of reach for passing herbivores. Well, this morning the cows were working together and diassembling my neat pile. I thought curiousity killed the cat, not the cow? :roll:

Cattle be born deconstructors dontcha know? And they be strong enough ta deconstruct anythin they take a sight at. If mine dont like somethin, or like it a little too much, it be done for. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

you can go out in a 100 acre pasture and concrete a post right in the middle of it. and the whole herd will run to it and take turns try'in to push it down. they are curious for sure.. till you get em in the working pen. then they want no part of it.

Rookie":2vc600vo said:
Little Cow":2vc600vo said:

Cattle be born deconstructors dontcha know? And they be strong enough ta deconstruct anythin they take a sight at. If mine dont like somethin, or like it a little too much, it be done for. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
like maybe a new truck. the love those ;-)

ALACOWMAN":1j6odvih said:
you can go out in a 100 acre pasture and concrete a post right in the middle of it. and the whole herd will run to it and take turns try'in to push it down. they are curious for sure.. till you get em in the working pen. then they want no part of it.

Thats funny but true or stand staring at a new gate for hours.

Caustic Burno":4590nju0 said:
ALACOWMAN":4590nju0 said:

Someone borrows one of my trailers and parks in in there, the wiring harness will be chewed to bits. Flattened wires. Time and time again.

A buddy of mine was mowing some weeds in a field right beside his house. There wasn't a cow in sight. He went inside for a sandwich. Wasn't gone for more than 20 minutes. When he came back out there wasn't a spark plug wire left on the tractor. He had to tow the tractor out of the field before he went to town for new wires. He figured if he left it in the pasture for another hour they would have it stripped.

It is their extreme intelligence level - they have to analyze everything six ways to Sunday.

Part of that analysis includes methods to frustrate the owner.

Bez>

Cattle delicacy - the rubber covers off your remotes. :mad:

Also never leave the cab door open when they may be near!!

I laughed at CB's because they will do the same thing with a new pile of snow or manure in their yard.

:lol:

ALX

Little Cow":25p9jwwv said:
I thought curiousity killed the cat,

Yes, but satisfaction brought it back. :lol:

I think they're more curious than cats! I too have seen them stare at a new gate for what seemed like an eternity.

We had some junk (left from previous residents) in a pile, then we moved the pile. Same junk, same pile, just moved it. It entertained them for half a day! :lol:

Katherine

Cows are hard on trailer wires! Sometimes my cows make me so mad I could eat dirt! :mad:

The only thing worst than a "wire eater" is a "fence jumper"! The "glove snatcher" also makes my crazy!

Yes indeed, and they can be very distructive in their nosy-ness! I think young calves are the worst. We have dozers and heavy equipment all over, and therefore "junk" :frowns: around, and the calves just love it. We routinely have wiring that's been pulled off trailers. We jokingly say they must be copper deficient.

backhoeboogie":2m7yhwls said:
Caustic Burno":2m7yhwls said:
ALACOWMAN":2m7yhwls said:

Someone borrows one of my trailers and parks in in there, the wiring harness will be chewed to bits. Flattened wires. Time and time again.

They can(and will) wreak havoc on pivot wiring, too!

I always laugh when I think about my sister-in-law's brother chasing calf on foot 'cause the calf stole his purple hoodie. That calf was running full out with the fool chasin' him, like he could catch him, and that calf with that purple hoodie in his mouth waving it like a flag. :lol:

And then there's my steer who rifles the Polaris...looked up and saw him with a screw driver in his mouth. 'Bout made me sick. I hollered and he dropped it." I still shudder at that.

And the steer that used to come up on the Polaris and find the baby bottles in the back and one by one fling them out.

Those are the times I remember best. There's been so many more times...amd now that it's over, it always brings a smile to my face remembering.

Thank goodness nothing actually harmful has happened.

Alice

Latest posts