Why Angus Suck.

Help Support CattleToday:

Beef11

Reaction score
I just thought i'd put this up here so all yall have something to talk about. As most threads end up on the subject we might as well not have any false pretenses.

I guess I'm a winter calver now-- went over to check the partner cows that are still pretty much just grazing (threw them a little hay when it was really cold)-- and what do I find but a week old calf following a heifer around...
I knew the bulls got out once last spring- but I didn't think they got anything accomplished in the hour they were out...Guess I was wrong :roll:

Talked to the neighbors little girl and she said they thought it came on Thur night-they saw it Friday- the night it was 10 Below and the wind was howling 40-45 mph- and the wind chill was 30-40 Below... She must have had it down in a hole somewhere out of the wind- as I didn't spot it before...

Looks like it is doing fine--might end up having nipped ears, but otherways looks plumb fine...

Gotta love those tough little angus......

Oldtimer":1v4gflzh said:

They are tough enough during the winter. It is during the summer that mine turn into pansies, hang out in the shade all day and quit giving much milk to their babies. Their brangus cousins hang tough here all year and through all seasons.

backhoeboogie":3k7tf1rg said:
Oldtimer":3k7tf1rg said:

They are tough enough during the winter. It is during the summer that mine turn into pansies, hang out in the shade all day and quit giving much milk to their babies. Their brangus cousins hang tough here all year and through all seasons.

Thats where they fit in good up here in the north-- we seldom get more than 2-3 weeks of 90-100+ weather a year...And this old Great American Desert area usually cools down fairly good at nite....

Why would anyone run Angus when they could have PIEDMONTESE? Get a beef breed not some chubby little black hided things.

Angus, do NOT suck.

There are numerous things going on that have allowed some breeders to rest on their laurels in terms of understanding biological systems as they relate to animal production,

their success has attracted a good number of speculative breeders that don't know how to breed cattle,

some of the larger leaders spend more time managing and marketing than being with the cattle, so are out of touch with what is happening in terms of convenience qualities,

BUT, Angus do not suck.

Breeder problems contributing to breed problems, they have always worked themselves out over time, and they will again, until the opposite extreme causes trouble.

Badlands

Had a Legend Heifer born this AM at 5 or so, the temp was -12 when she came into the world. 30 minutes later she was up and nursing. That's those rotten angus for you. :)

KM...,

Angus are scrappie little fellows aren't they! For getting started they are ...spring loaded. 8)

Humm...sounds like a good new marketing tag. ;-)

What really sucks is having to carry that big check to the bank after you sell a load or two. Wish the stockyards had direct deposit!!!! LOL!!! :lol:

Angus suck because so many non black breeds with open herd books have use them to turn there cattle BLACK...This is done in order to pass themselves off as a cab producer...The problem is not with Angus or CAB but with many fake Black Angus....

Angus suck because so many non black breeds with open herd books have use them to turn there cattle BLACK...This is done in order to pass themselves off as a cab producer...The problem is not with Angus or CAB but with many fake Black Angus....

Latest posts