Who's the daddy?

Help Support CattleToday:

showmomof2

Reaction score
Sassy_and_baby_021.JPG

We got a surprise this week. This heifer was "bred" to an angus bull in June. I'd say our angus bull or the neighbors hereford came a visiting in January! I know we have a fly problem-that's fixing to get remedied.

She wasn't running with any bull calves. My husband insisted it was the angus bull because he thought he broke in, but the hereford bull was bad about getting in, also. My bet and hopes are on the hereford. She has to many hereford color characteristics in my opinion. Do you think she has to much white for the commercial cow show ring? The mama did decent-reserve grand at county and 2nd out of 5 or 6 at district. She would have done better if we had more time with her and had halfway knew what we were doing.

How do you know its not just the "herford" side of moma coming out... see alot of herford/angus crosses here that make black baldies.

lots of redwf with black calfes and black ones with red or herford looking calves...lots of combos...calf could have been red if bred to the "herford" bull that is would guess was red?

Not a bad looking calf so I guess I don't understand the ?? guess its the boots and white down the back? looks like a black hereford to me.

donna

I figured the hereford was about bred out of the calf. Mama's daddy was angus, don't know about grandma's or greatgrandma's lineage. Gr-grandma was pregnant with grandma when we bought her years ago. She just doesn't resemble the other calves. Actually am hoping it's the hereford bull-he's a nice bull. We sold our angus-weren't to happy with them.

I would go with the herford for the sire as well. Had it been the Black Angus, the calf would have looked like mom, been a Brockle face, or been solid black. I could go into the genetics of this, but I won't ;-)

Could there be a longhorn bull lurking in the woods or may be a little longhorn in the cows background?

No longhorns anywhere around here. just angus, hereford, limis, and simmentals. Angus and hereford are the only ones that could have gotten to her without us knowing it.

Man! that calf got some roan in it :eek: I'm with dun, some Long Horn or Shorthorn in the breeding 8) 8)

It would have had to been way back there! Grandma has some roaning on the underside of her neck. Gr. Grandma is almost a spitting image of mama.