Who's not feeding hay yet?

Help Support CattleToday:

Well we have not started feeding yet,

We have pleanty of grass do to lowered herd numbers and the fact that constuction has forced us to move animals around to rotational graze just a bit better, and we have had an unusually warm wet year

Not haying yet on farm where rotating. Just started haying on property that is not set up for rotating. The coastal has lost some of its green color in the last few days of cooler weather so the end is nearing.

mbdear in East Texas

I figured I'd try smething a little different this yr. I had some hay left from last yr so I have been fedding some hay for about a month now, but still moving them through a few of the pastures, keeping about half stockpiled. I'm trying to use the pasture to supplement the hay and make each go further rather than relying solely on one or the other.

Anyone else try this before and does it help?

royB":csmwqlvn said:
I figured I'd try smething a little different this yr. I had some hay left from last yr so I have been fedding some hay for about a month now, but still moving them through a few of the pastures, keeping about half stockpiled. I'm trying to use the pasture to supplement the hay and make each go further rather than relying solely on one or the other.

Anyone else try this before and does it help?

We do something like this most years.
When we hit our annual dry spot, and start to run out of grass
we let them eat it short then put them in a lot and feed whats left of
last years hay. We usually have enough left over to keep them up
three to four weeks, that gives the pasture enough time to get ahead of them and will usually last till the end of December.

Hillbilly

Around here it's about half-and-half, folks who have hay/grain fields have their cows out there, otherwise folks are feeding hay. I'm supplementing mine with a little bit of hay just so I have an opportunity to look them over once a day. Some of our pastures may last until December if we don't have snow before then.

I usually plan on feeding hay November to May - if not longer.

Is there any place in the U.S. that can truly grass year around? ie.; not depending on water restictions etc. Hawaii?

Alan

Alan":2311lvfe said:
Is there any place in the U.S. that can truly grass year around? ie.; not depending on water restictions etc. Hawaii?

Alan
Yep. many areas in the southeast.

Got fifty head on fescue and mixed grasses that looks like it will keep them grazing for the next three months or so. Feeding round bales to others in two different pastures.

High's in the 60's. Low's in the high 30's twice.

Hope to feed as late as the first or second week of December at one pasture. Later at the other.

FYI no harm intended Tod Dague.

pusitic (SP?) acid

Prussic acid.

In our area first frost is around Sept. 15. Took brood cows off meadows Oct. 1 and started feeding hay, some 14% grain. It's normal for this area to feed hay 180 - 200 days a year. Grass in pastures is ready May 1 - 10. My neighbor isn't feeding hay yet and his cattle are bawling a whole lot. They'll look rough come spring.

Cows are still grazing on the pastures and stubble fields-Will probably move them down onto the hay meadows around the first of the month- Then if the snow holds off or doesn't get too deep I may not have to start feeding until next year-Jan.

Sure different than last year when many already had a foot of snow in some areas and were feeding on Nov 1 .

We started feeding hay in late Oct., not everyday, 4-5 days a week. If they don't clean up they don't get another roll until they do. Still have pretty good grass, giving them some of the older hay trying to strech the grass
;-) .

got the main herd out on stocks here wont start haying here until first snow hits the groungd then it's on to the lots for everything.

The first snow hit the Dakotas about three weeks ago Bronc. The second one was last week.

Checked the weather for you Bronc. Looks like snow in South Dakota today. Maybe you should start gathering those 3000 to 5000 head in off corn stalks. It may take you and the kids an hour or more .

ollie":2mpv2lea said:
Checked the weather for you Bronc. Looks like snow in South Dakota today. Maybe you should start gathering those 3000 to 5000 head in off corn stalks. It may take you and the kids an hour or more .

Now Ollie are you implying you smell smoke?

Latest posts