Who makes the best AR 15?

Help Support CattleToday:

jedstivers

Reaction score
I've never liked or wanted one but the hogs are moving in on us bad. Can you get .308 in subsonic rounds?
Night Vision or Thermal?
A few days ago I shot a AR in 300 Blackout I think it was. They were subsonic and it had a silencer, real sweet. I'm just thinking it will be eaiser to get 308 instead of 300.

Daniels Defense, and LaRue make a good AR , I have a smith M&P that is good for a production AR and ofcourse bushmaster is popular.

The Colt is hard to beat for a production AR. I have a Ruger mini 30 if that will help you. Ammo is cheap compared to other rifle. Less than .30 a round.

my friend has a armorlite ar-10 I love that gun. If I found one in .223 it would be hard for me not to buy it. That gun shoot extremely well.

these are the last hogs I killed about 5 years ago i had killed 3 friends killed some too we used 12gauge buckshot for these. Sorry don't know how to use scanner

jedstivers":1ztouzs7 said:
Which can you get in subsonic?
There are a number of subsonics that fit the AR-15 platfrm. 300 whisper is the oldest, 300 Blackout and thre are 6.5 Creedmore subsonics

Colt is probably the most reliable AR15 on the market. The down side is they don't have as many options in caliber and style. You can get 5.56 and maybe 7.62.

Not sure why you are set on the .308 and subsonic rounds. Its kind of counter productive. 308 would be in the AR10 platform and IMO the reliability is just not there from any brand.

Rock River Arms is a great bang for the buck AR. They have a great lower that has a stage 2 trigger. One of the best on the market. They have several styles from compact carbine to heavy barrel target type guns. Several calibers 5.56, 6.8, 7.62, ect all in the AR15 platform. You can get one of RRA lowers with the stage 2 triggers and go to like AR Performance, Bison, ect and get different uppers. Those will all do around 3/4" groups @ 100yds.

I do a lot of hog hunting with ARs. IMO the 6.8mm is perfect. You can shoot from and 85-120gr bullet. Its great for 0-300yds which is all you will be shooting most of the time. Its a great mixture of knock down, low recoil, and reliability.

I have two ARs. One is a Rock River Arms lower with and AR Performance upper in 6.8mm. The other is a Rock River Arms Coyote Carbine in 5.56. I have an adapter so that I can move my suppressor back and forth. For the moment I have a Leupold scope on my 6.8 because I deer hunt with it and I have my night vision scope on the 5.56.

My advice is to not get hung up on the subsonic rounds and all that 300 Blk out stuff. The reality is subsonic rounds are quiet because they are slow. Less knock down. A suppressor will also slow the bullet down. On top of an already slow round. When you shoot hogs they will run not matter how quiet you think you are... once they have been shot at. Get some thing with good knock down both short and med range.

jedstivers":38txiab8 said:
I'm not set on anything, if never liked them or wanted one so know nothing about them.
I felt the same way but last year I got a wild hair and bought one. I got a DPMS and it is some serious fun, accurate and easy to shoot well. I had 30 round magazines for a M1 Carbine and a 10/22. I alwasy lost interst before the magazine was empty. With the AR I'm alwasy surprised that the 30 round magazine is empty, it is a real blast to shoot.

Brute 23":3aosj6yq said:
My advice is to not get hung up on the subsonic rounds and all that 300 Blk out stuff. The reality is subsonic rounds are quiet because they are slow. Less knock down. A suppressor will also slow the bullet down. On top of an already slow round. When you shoot hogs they will run not matter how quiet you think you are... once they have been shot at. Get some thing with good knock down both short and med range.

I agree with everything except this statement. This depends on the construction of the suppressor. True, if you are using a suppressor with felt or rubber baffles that actually touch the bullet but a good quality suppressor will not do this. At most, it might change the harmonics of the barrel and by extending the barrel length its more apt to increase the velocity a tiny bit but it will not change the zero on a rifle to any noticeable extent.

Keep in mind the bullet is in front of the gases and its no different than putting a muzzle break on your rifle except you are capturing the gasses for a split second.

A moderated subsonic .308 is very effective to 200 yards but like you say, the load velocity is slower and the energy is reduced but its still packing some punch. With the reduced recoil, reduced sound, you are able to keep your target in your glass which makes for some enjoyable shooting and with the sounds being inverted from what you are used to makes things very interesting.

Latest posts