who is a rancher

Help Support CattleToday:

It doesn't matter what you call yourself if you never associate with anyone.

I laugh at people that call themselves "Ranchers" when they are nowheres near being a rancher. Its obvious that they feel bigger with that label -and they are a bigger something but its not a good thing :)

I would say a rancher is someone who produces grass to raise cattle, and a farmer is someone who mainly raises crops for cash. Then there's the cowboy - someone who wants to do everything horseback and works for the rancher. ;-)

TXBobcat":39n1i8zv said:
I would say a rancher is someone who produces grass to raise cattle, and a farmer is someone who mainly raises crops for cash. Then there's the cowboy - someone who wants to do everything horseback and works for the rancher. ;-)

I agree with this for what it is worth.

flaboy?":1ec6wcze said:
TXBobcat":1ec6wcze said:

I agree with this for what it is worth.

Me to

dane12":181qo611 said:
CUZ":181qo611 said:
Folks with cattle. East of the Mississippi they're farmers and West of the Mississippi they're ranchers.

That's the definition I use.

Cuz

does it have anything to do with the size 5-10-40 or more head of cattle

In a word, no. USDA says you are farmer if you sell $1000 of ag product. That's a definition, if you need one. If you have a cow and want to call yourself a rancher, USDA says thats fine. However, if you only have one cow on five acres I would hope you had your tongue in your cheek when describing your "ranch." (exemption--if you are talking to a pretty girl over drinks in Cozumel it is quite permissible to multiply each cow by 2 or 3 or whatever number is necessary to make your place sound like the King Ranch).
:lol:

john250":37y3e1ev said:
dane12":37y3e1ev said:
CUZ":37y3e1ev said:
Folks with cattle. East of the Mississippi they're farmers and West of the Mississippi they're ranchers.

That's the definition I use.

Cuz

does it have anything to do with the size 5-10-40 or more head of cattle

In a word, no. USDA says you are farmer if you sell $1000 of ag product. That's a definition, if you need one. If you have a cow and want to call yourself a rancher, USDA says thats fine. However, if you only have one cow on five acres I would hope you had your tongue in your cheek when describing your "ranch." (exemption--if you are talking to a pretty girl over drinks in Cozumel it is quite permissible to multiply each cow by 2 or 3 or whatever number is necessary to make your place sound like the King Ranch).
:lol:

Man after my own heart.
Never ever let the facts get in the way of a good story.

MD

Ranchers let their stock harvest their own feed. On a ranch, almost all of the feed is harvested directly by the stock. Some hay & supplements may still be required, hay to get thru the winter and supplements for deficiencies in the self-fed diet (like salt).

Don't ask me. Had a friend in the northeast who bought an "old ranch house." I thought that was pretty neat. What they define as a "ranch house" is any house, that is just one floor. Go figure. Most of the really nice ranch houses I have seen have atleast 3 floors. I have been in one old ranch house that had 5 floors.

Now the real estate agents want to market a "ranchette". I guess that will make you a "Ranchetter" instead of a Rancher.

My point is, reality has nothing to do with terms people apply.

All the old ranchers had gardens by the way. It was too far to town to buy vegetables and such. So they did till the soil - really big gardens.

He He-- just noticed that under my sign in name is the word "rancher"
Guess I need to find out how to change it to farmer .........

aplusmnt":3ssxedly said:
MikeC":3ssxedly said:
mnmtranching":3ssxedly said:
MikeC ....... CATFISH :shock: Tell us about that. :)

They are hard to rope. No need to brand 'em.

The best part is.........they NEVER get out! :lol:

Do you have many problems with Ruslters though?

Only family members! :lol:

But they don't see it as rustling. :shock:

I raise cattle not corn so I consider myself a rancher. It kinda peeves me when people ask how my "farm" is doing? I don't plant but raise livestock. My neighbor is a farmer go ask him how it's going.

ChrisRet":3kxxxidb said:
Ranchers let their stock harvest their own feed. On a ranch, almost all of the feed is harvested directly by the stock. Some hay & supplements may still be required, hay to get thru the winter and supplements for deficiencies in the self-fed diet (like salt).

This is correct.

Latest posts