who is a rancher

Help Support CattleToday:

dane12

Reaction score
What is the definition of a rancher?
is it how many acres you have or is how many head of cows you have?

CUZ":4vb6vzbh said:
Folks with cattle. East of the Mississippi they're farmers and West of the Mississippi they're ranchers.

That's the definition I use.

Cuz

There are horse ranchers, sheep ranchers, mink ranchers, and take me.....

I'm a "Catfish" rancher. :lol: :lol:

CUZ":unjymv1k said:
Folks with cattle. East of the Mississippi they're farmers and West of the Mississippi they're ranchers.

Cuz

does it have anything to do with the size 5-10-40 or more head of cattle

mnmtranching":3gg5l9l9 said:
MikeC ....... CATFISH :shock: Tell us about that. :)

They are hard to rope. No need to brand 'em.

The best part is.........they NEVER get out! :lol:

You know all kidding aside, they do alot of catfish farming in North East Arkansas. I was up in that area a few years ago and noticed they have some pretty big catfish operations going on. I did know until then that they raised catfish here commerically.

MikeC":3v28r7ai said:
mnmtranching":3v28r7ai said:

Or ear tag either I bet :) What do Catfish eat?

Is the high price of feed a problem?

CUZ":1a8m16sd said:

Cuz

Ditto. I assume Ben Cartwright was west of the Mississippi. Now he was definitely a rancher. :nod:

I consider myself a rancher despite the fact that at the moment I have less than 10 heads of cattle. For me, they aren't pets, they're my business. My grandfather managed a dairy farm and considered himself a farmer. Go figure.

Ranchers are ONLY west of the Miss.
But....... even then they are only a rancher if they
uses horses and ropes to work the cattle--

A farmer uses pens and catch gates to work cattle.

A ranch by my definition is a place where livestock are raised on large spreads where grass and hay is the only resources for feeding of the livestock that are managed, other than a little supplemental feed. No cash crops such as baccer, corn, cotton, etc. Also in my opinion of a ranch, there should be at least some hired hands on the place and horses should be used for working the cattle to be considered a ranch. But for who aked this question I think the best answer is; There is no definition. Whats next? How many cows does it take to be called a Cattle Co.? Land and Livestock? Who knows. And to further prove my point, take for example large ranches like the King Ranch and W.T. Waggoner Ranch both in Texas. I believe they are considerd the two biggest ranches in Texas and they both have huge farming operations.

I believe the number of cows required to be considered a ranch is directly proportional to the distance you are from the city limits. ;-)

mnmtranching":3aer0ue8 said:
MikeC":3aer0ue8 said:
mnmtranching":3aer0ue8 said:

Or ear tag either I bet :) What do Catfish eat?

Is the high price of feed a problem?

Mike feeds his all angus. Thats way you see them standing in the tanks all day. And I bet you thought they were just cooling off. Feed efficiency at its best. :roll: :lol:

Latest posts