who do you like

Help Support CattleToday:

Good looking bulls. Not trying to take your post off track but does anyone know if the calf size problem when breeding Brahman bulls to english cows also happen when you breed Beefmaster or Santa Gertrudis or Simbrah bulls to english based cows. I have seen Brangus bulls breed to english based cows and the calves came small including the bull calves but was wondering about the other Brahman based breeds. Thanks in advance.

I didn't realize there was a calf problem with brahman over english. Sure are a lot of guys running Brahman bulls over hereford cows. I also have a buddy in Missouri who runs a gert bulls over 75 or so herefords and never heard him say a thing about calving difficulty.

My Father-in-law used to raise Beefmaster, from the Lasater ranch. Quite a few to choose from here.. I didnt go through all the videos , but I did like 1, 4, 16, 18, and 24 real well.

A lot of those bulls should have been cut a long time ago...also curious on how the black got in some of those :)

Is the scrotal size on these bulls typical for the breed. I have had fat steers with a bigger cod than some of these bulls.

u4411clb":36z2kvdz said:
Good looking bulls. Not trying to take your post off track but does anyone know if the calf size problem when breeding Brahman bulls to english cows also happen when you breed Beefmaster or Santa Gertrudis or Simbrah bulls to english based cows. I have seen Brangus bulls breed to english based cows and the calves came small including the bull calves but was wondering about the other Brahman based breeds. Thanks in advance.

I started using Beefmaster bulls back in 2007. I crossed over from commercial cows to Beefmasters because I was so impressed with my bull looks. My dad and uncle ended up getting some really nice calves on their English based commercial cows. Birthweight was never an issue and hasn't been an issue for me with purebred. That said, there are some breeders out there who can get some larger calves. Usually, those breeders are chasing growth without much consideration for balance.

EC

mwj":1bzfiane said:
Is the scrotal size on these bulls typical for the breed. I have had fat steers with a bigger cod than some of these bulls.

I was present when these videos were made. It was too cold for comfort. That may be why several bulls are "drawn up". The yearlings at the end of the video were up in Oklahoma and in even colder weather. They are what they are. I just wouldn't be deceived by some of them having the boys pulled up to stay warm.

EC

Not having any experience with the breed but Lot 18 appealed to me with his movement, muscling and demeanor. Sure looks like a good batch of bulls.

East Caney":3ev62iyu said:
u4411clb":3ev62iyu said:

I started using Beefmaster bulls back in 2007. I crossed over from commercial cows to Beefmasters because I was so impressed with my bull looks. My dad and uncle ended up getting some really nice calves on their English based commercial cows. Birthweight was never an issue and hasn't been an issue for me with purebred. That said, there are some breeders out there who can get some larger calves. Usually, those breeders are chasing growth without much consideration for balance.

EC

Thanks I have heard about it with 100% Brahman bulls but didn't know if a Beefmaster that is 50% Brahman would have the same issue. Seems as if they don't. Thanks again.

wacocowboy":32u31uzu said:
http://www.cattleinmotion.com/lots/gallery/140315Texoma

Not in order of preference, I like lots 1, 28, 42, 110, and 126. There are probably more that I'd take a hard look at, but those have a phenotype in line with my preferences without a doubt. I'm looking forward to the sale next weekend and seeing the bulls again.

EC

beefmaster bulls are pretty much 100% calving ease bulls.every now an then youll hear of a beefmaster throwing big calves.but not that often.