Who ai's

Help Support CattleToday:

jenna

Reaction score
Just curious if most artificial inseminators are male or female. Some of our neighbors wont let a male near their cattle, only female technicians. Anything to it? We've been busy ai'ing the beef, all 450 of them. we try to breed them in groups of 30-50. Me and mom (mostly me) do all the ai work, so it gets to be some long days. Even got a picture to prove it, it seems my brother, 13 years old, gets a kick out of this (or he likes to make fun of me) thought i mite as well share.
Anyway, hope all is going well for everybody,
Jenna

jenna00.jpg

well i (female) do the artificial insemination here. husband won't even think about it. Being female, I would like to think I "understand" things better, but I have known male technicians that have just as good succes rates. Just kid your brother that he will be ai'ing some day too.

I know several guys that will hire out for several thousand head a year. In AI school, a couple of the girls picked it really fast. By the way, if you synch your cows what protocol do you use?

We hire a great lady to AI ours. We choose her not for her gender, but the fact that she has done "1000's" of services. Her references also were the best that we could find.

I'm just about to do an AI course... have been wanting to for years but couldn't afford it and last week I finally won the second biggest prize at the largest heifer show of its kind in Australia, which just so happens to be an AI and preg testing course as well as AI kit. I'm stoked!! Have already had lots of people tell me I can go practice on their cattle :D

The wife handles the semen, loads the rod, etc & brings it to me, I load the cow & do the breeding - kind of a tag team effort.

I do my own all alone. Catch the cow through turn her loose. I do one at a time and it takes a while.

I do the AI work in our operation. My husband wants to learn, but his work schedule wouldn't work with the training schedule. I think I can teach him, but I don't want to be practicing on our cows. So, for now he's the gate/chute man in the operation, unless of course one needs AI'ing during the night. He sleeps and I'm the Lone Ranger AI Tech.

i don't really think genders got to do with the success rates. We have a guy do all are cattle and we have great success rates, he's done over a 1000 head

Why you young whippersnappers! I bet 20 years ago less than 1% of AI techs were female. Shows how times have changed. Really doesn't make any difference. I find as I get older, if I have any trouble getting through the cervix my arm tires easily.

I have very little idea what gender has to do with AI, except possibly the size of ones arm. Are you trying to tell me that a women understands the cow overies better than a man because she has overies? Huh? I'll take a AI course this year and start AIing next spring... I'll also make sure I have a good clean up bull, since I'm not expecting a great success rate at first.

Alan

Latest posts