Whitewash

Help Support CattleToday:

whiskyb

Reaction score
I am looking for advice on whitewashing the inside of a leased barn where I keep Cows/Calves. It has not been done for a long time and really needs a good cleaning. Does the homemade lime recipes have any negative side effects with cattle licking, rubbing against the walls. I have heard about the clay based products but cannot find any brand names or suppliers. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Whiskyb

I called the local paint shop, he has no leads on any washes but can sell me regular flat latex for little money. I can spray the whole thing with my existing equiptment and not be worried about chemicals. I wish I could get someone local to do it for me but I have not been able to find any listings. I have tried the local co-op and feed stores. Any of the house painters I ask laugh.

Whiskyb

as far as i know, the lime in whitewash should have no ill effects....dolomite type lime is used in cattle feed.

"Whitewash" was used for all the dairys up around Illinois for years and years.. and for the sole reason that it didn't have any adverse affect to the cows in the barn.

Good question though.. why would you whitewash a lease barn?

Although it is a lease barn the price is good and we treat it as if our own. I need to replace some water pipes befor winter and thought that a painting would brighten it up. Winter seems to long and dark around here so any help at brightening up a room is worth it in my opinion.

whiskyb":sgxnlfdp said:
I am looking for advice on whitewashing the inside of a leased barn where I keep Cows/Calves. It has not been done for a long time and really needs a good cleaning. Does the homemade lime recipes have any negative side effects with cattle licking, rubbing against the walls. I have heard about the clay based products but cannot find any brand names or suppliers. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Whiskyb

I used to have my dairy barn whitewashed and aircleaned every year. My barn is 30x110 and cost $250 each year. Looks so much cleaner and brighter after the whitewash. Money well spent.

Latest posts