White switch on reg. Angus bull's tail?

Help Support CattleToday:

There was some discussion on Cole Creek Cedar Ridge some time back - some photos show a white or gray switch, while others show a black one ... not sure if it's dyeing or photoshopping, but I've seen two versions of the same sideview photo, one with black switch one with white/gray.
Photos on his page at the Genex website, linked below show both black and white switches... which is it?...
http://genex.crinet.com/beef/index.php? ... e=1AN01224

My understanding is that the cow can have some white on her bag and still be ok for register. Any other place where white is showing is not good.

kilroy60":1vdps4dz said:
My understanding is that the cow can have some white on her bag and still be ok for register. Any other place where white is showing is not good.

That is correct, from navel back. Not sure about the switch.

AAA rules say white on tail disqualifies an animal from registration. However, they are allowed to present birth marks, white hair grown on black hide, and white below the belly line behind the navel (as other have said). No idea if one could argue the white switch is a birth mark and get away with it, but I'm guessing not.

I'm guessing there are plenty registered that have a white switch, but the owners don't disclose it and paint/dye it for photos and shows.

This year we had an Angus bull calf that has white on the front of his naval area. I think he is a pretty good individual, and left him intact, even though he can't be registered. What I don't know is whether or not his calves will show much excess white, if used on commercial cows.

Latest posts