White Feet Gene

Help Support CattleToday:

Taurus

Reaction score
I got a surprise from one of my belted cows this morning. She gave me a belted calf............with four white legs. I was very surprised that it has white legs. We never got any calves that has white feet out of our belted cows for many years so that calf is our first time. The sire is commercial black bull but he's not registered. The dam is 1/8 belted Galloway 7/8 Angus. I suspected that the sire has more than just one breed in him, probably a tiny dash from Hereford or Holstein from many generations ago. The question....is the white feet gene a hidden gene that goes unnoticed for many generations?

I think it is... I have a cow that is all brown except for her udder... Her grandma was hereford, her mother was half saler, and she's half shorthorn. She's always thrown all brown calves with no markings... this year, she's got a bull with white ankle socks on his hind feet, and a white tail tip. I have a heifer from a 1/2 shorthorn (she looks like a PB roan though), who has exactly the same markings.

NCM_0013_zps101752ff.jpg

Took a quick picture of the calf in question.

I certainly don't see white feet anywhere else around there!
This one is mine... no white feet in the 3 generations before him, or any of his siblings
20140428_150647_zps2c215fdd.jpg

All siblings of the calf's were solid black and not a single white hair on their feet. I don't know any breeding on the calf's sire. All I know is the sire is solid black and the sire's parents were solid black. I do not know if the calf's dam carried the white feet gene. The calf just looks like goofy with white socks on.

Once a few years ago when my grandfather still had cattle, we had a black calf with white socks on its hind legs. I don't remember if we were using a black lim or black angus bull, but the momma was red limo I think, but I'm not sure. I was young when it happened. That was the only one that that cow ever threw and that bull ever threw and I remember him being puzzled about it. I'll ask him about it tomorrow to see what he'll tell me.

I think it is probably linked to the recessive spotting gene, in some cases it may BE the recessive spotting gene (Holstiens, Shorthorns, Maine and Simmental would carry it)

randiliana":33n876vl said:
I think it is probably linked to the recessive spotting gene, in some cases it may BE the recessive spotting gene (Holstiens, Shorthorns, Maine and Simmental would carry it)
Would the Hereford belong to the category?

No Herefords have a different gene that gives them their markings. It is an incompletely dominant gene. Although from my experiences I think that the recessive spotting gene and Hereford pattern gene work together sometimes. Or perhaps, some Herefords carry the spotting gene.

randiliana":21i3nser said:
No Herefords have a different gene that gives them their markings. It is an incompletely dominant gene. Although from my experiences I think that the recessive spotting gene and Hereford pattern gene work together sometimes. Or perhaps, some Herefords carry the spotting gene.

I know some 7/8 fleckvieh cattle with feathernecks that come from the 1/8 hereford; so the idea that recessive spotting supports hereford markings sounds reasonable to me. :2cents:

Seems to be more common on the rear feet.
Seems to be more common on red heavy milking cows (I assume usually Simi, or perhaps SH cross), or on rangy black feeders (I assume Holstein cross).
My best looking heifer last year came out of a purchased red with white rear feet cow.

Taurus":22hk3866 said:
NCM_0013_zps101752ff.jpg

Took a quick picture of the calf in question.
That is going to be one cute calf! If it's a heifer, you could send her on over to me Taurus! ;-)

Nesi, your little bull calf looks good!

Thanks, and he's looking better by the day! It's really funny to see them playing at dusk... When he runs all you see are his hind feet and the tip of the tail up in the air. He's one of the most playful ones around too... loves to stir the pot

Stocker Steve":19alwpfr said:
What about solid colored feet but a white tail switch?
I have one cow who has given me 3 calves, all with the white tail switch. The first calf (heifer) was solid black and that is all the white she has (with one spot on the udder), the second was a show steer who has a white face and the white switch, and the third calf is kinda weird. His front half looks like a "black hereford", while the back half is spotted like a holstein with the large rump of a clubby, and a white switch.
I'll post breed percentages later. out of time.
Edit: Finally back at the computer... Like Stocker Steve said--Holstein Influenced.
Calf 1: 1/2Black Angus 1/4Hereford 1/4Holstein.
Calf 2: 1/2 Club Calf (Simple Math, so some simmy and some other stuff) 1/4 Herf 1/4 Hol
Calf 3: Same as Calf 2.

Stocker Steve":2ud198kj said:
What about solid colored feet but a white tail switch?

I've got several solid red shorthorns w/ white tail switches and white udders w/ Dark hooves. Few markings I dislike more than white stockings w/ white hooves.

Latest posts