White faced brimmer

Help Support CattleToday:

rnh2

Reaction score
Ok Texans. What's the dif between tiger stripe and f1 Brahma Hereford? What about disposition? How are for feed efficiency compared to Hereford? My market loves blacks. Thought about crossing brangus or ultra black with this cross and getting super baldy

rnh2 said:
Ok Texans. What's the dif between tiger stripe and f1 Brahma Hereford? What about disposition? How are for feed efficiency compared to Hereford? My market loves blacks. Thought about crossing brangus or ultra black with this cross and getting super baldy

Nothing except the F-1 cross is not always tiger striped.
I have some that are marked like Hereford.
The cross gets a bad rap in most people don't know how to handle Brahman cattle. You lead them you don't drive them . They don't play cowboy.
Nothing has the hybrid vigor of the Brahman Hereford cross and that's just science, it's the maximum cross you can make. You get longevity as well.
https://hereford.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/issue-archive/0210_TigerstripedValue.pdf

rnh2 said:

I ain't qualified as a Texican but if you cross a Brangus with a F1 Hereford/Brahman you're gonna get a lot of ear and a fair amount of inconsistencies. A Super Baldy is generally considered a cross between a Brangus and a Hereford and will result in a Black Baldy with some ear.

I agree with both the replies above. A tiger stripe is one color variation of a Brahman x Hereford F1, though it is the most prominent one. As CB said, sometimes they'll be marked just like a Hereford, and I've also seen some that are all tiger striped, without the white face. Chocolate is another variation.

I wouldn't use a Brangus bull on F1 cows. They already have enough ear. If you want black calves from them get a good Angus bull.

And as JMJ Farms mentioned, Brangus x Hereford is also a good cross. The heifers make good cows, and the steers will bring good money at the auction barn (at least they will if you're far enough south to not take a beating when they show a little ear, and if you aren't you REALLY don't want to take a tiger-stripe steer to the auction).

Rafter S said:
I agree with both the replies above. A tiger stripe is one color variation of a Brahman x Hereford F1, though it is the most prominent one. As CB said, sometimes they'll be marked just like a Hereford, and I've also seen some that are all tiger striped, without the white face. Chocolate is another variation.

I wouldn't use a Brangus bull on F1 cows. They already have enough ear. If you want black calves from them get a good Angus bull.

And as JMJ Farms mentioned, Brangus x Hereford is also a good cross. The heifers make good cows, and the steers will bring good money at the auction barn (at least they will if you're far enough south to not take a beating when they show a little ear, and if you aren't you REALLY don't want to take a tiger-stripe steer to the auction).

I have 2 solids just didn't go there.
This heifer is striped just hard to see from this distance.

Rafter S said:

I've only got one that's solid tiger without the white face. Dang good cow but she's a fool about her baby.

As you mentioned above about the different color combos, my favorite is the chocolates. Man oh man I wish I had 100 that were like this one

Building off JMJ I have a Brangus/Hereford cow she was 2nd place commercial heifer at the fair.
Girl is a kick butt bovine.
She will eat you when she has a new calf, after about two weeks she wants you to take the little leach.

Caustic Burno said:
Building off JMJ I have a Brangus/Hereford cow she was 2nd place commercial heifer at the fair.
Girl is a kick butt bovine.
She will eat you when she has a new calf, after about two weeks she wants you to take the little leach.
I consider that a good trait. Sure helps when you have a Mexican buzzard or wild dog problem.

rnh2 said:

Not all tigers stripe cattle are F1 Brafords. As said above, not all F1 Brafords are tiger stripes.

An F1 Braford bred to a black Angus bull will make the "super baldie". They make great mommas and the bulls or steers usually do well also.

Tiger stripes can be a little hot headed if they do not get a lot of exposure or come off some bat chit crazy Brimmers. They can also be super gentle if you put just a little time in with them when they are young. They are hustlers and can raise some scale stomping calves.

The black baldies can be a little more calmer by nature. They are not quite as hardy as the F1s but are still hardy enough for most areas unless it's some kind of extreme. Having the 1/4 ear they are great for raising terminal calves.

Dont discount F1 Brangus. Bred back to a black Angus bull you can get some big calves and they will meet the needs of your market.

This is the F1 Brangus.

These 3 are all F1 Brafords.

This is the Super Baldie.

The great thing about F1s, no matter if they are Braford or Brangus, is they are so versatile. You can go terminal with Char, Sim, and Angus or get replacements with Angus, Hereford, or even Brahman. It's really hard to go wrong with them IMO unless you start throwing composites or crossbred bulls across them.

Here's a few. Most are Brimmer crosses. A couple are true F1s. Some I raised. Couple I bought. A couple don't have much ear.

Here is one I bought a couple weeks back. The sale barn vet had her called two months bred, solid mouth. She came from a small herd sell out. She was a little spooky when I brought her home but has calmed down some now. I haven't run her through the chute yet so she may yet try to eat me. I paid .72 lb for her.

Latest posts