White clover

Help Support CattleToday:

bball

Reaction score
Picked up some red clover seed yesterday for frostseeding pasture and hayfields. Wanted to get some white clover too, but no one had any in stock. Called 2 separate local seed dealers, and 3 other 'big box' farm suppliers and no one had white clover. Only on seed dealer even offered to attempt to get any. He said they would get some in a couple weeks, as it's still early. Struck me as odd. Because mid Feb through mid Mar is prime frostseeding time up here.

Did not check on white but locally only one or the 2 places had any red clover here the first of the week. The place that had it was $30 a bag higher than who was sold out. I picked up some going thru another town 30 mikes away for $30 less a bag. Seems like no one wants much inventory.

ClinchValley":2uamipts said:
Isn't it early

Not for us. University recommends mid Feb thru March...depending on weather. We are already getting into high 40s during day and has been hovering around freezing at night for 4-5 days now.

Been planting white clover this week. There seems to be a scarcity of good varieties this year. It took a good friend with a decent sized seed company about 2 or 3 months to find some of what I wanted and I ended up substituting one variety. Hope that you find some.

Ebenezer":2c0c2g36 said:
Been planting white clover this week. There seems to be a scarcity of good varieties this year. It took a good friend with a decent sized seed company about 2 or 3 months to find some of what I wanted and I ended up substituting one variety. Hope that you find some.

I wondered if something was up. May have to forego the white this year. Thanks for the feedback.

Is it too late to think about planting white clover in Arkansas now? also do red and white clover have different nutritional values or other benefits?

white clover can be planted late spring - not sure of the relative benefits of frost seeding versus autumn planting versus spring planting, but I've sown a bunch last month and been assured it will work, seen it germinate it won't make big growth till late spring (August/September in this part of the world).
Yeah, red and white are different. Apparently red persists less well in a thick grass sward but is more palatable to cattle.

Latest posts