Which UTV ????

Help Support CattleToday:

Which UTV do you like /own / or would buy?

• Kubota ?

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Kawaski ?

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • John Deere ?

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Polaris ?

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other ?

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nowland Farms

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a new UTV amd wanted to know which UTV most of you have or would buy. This UTV would be used to check on the cows and horses, repair fences, etc........

Please vote on the poll and provide any responses.

I have a Polaris Ranger and really like it. We've had it a year now, and it saves so much compared to a tractor for the little things. The only thing you need to really watch out for are stumps in the woods! Last summer I was out checking fence in some pasture we had worked and fenced off, and I was going through the brush and hit a stump and put a little crack in the floor of it. It's a very good machine. Ask around because we got ours from the dealer on a wholesale deal for about $2000 less than the ones he got right from the factory.

1980something Ford F150. Gave 700 bucks for it, has a windshield and doors straight from the factory, plus it's got heat!

Kawasaki or John Deere... almost one in the same.

I talked with a guy a couple weeks ago with a new Polaris Ranger. Says it eats belts with any kind of load on it. The dealer told him he needs to drive in low. They guy was pretty disapointed because he hauls couple bags of feed, maybe some corn, grandkids, ect ... nothing real heavy... but just always has a little load and he said he is too old to live his life in Low Gear. :)

I have an 05 Rhino that has been abused. I do anything from pulling hay wagons to stretching barb wire with it and it has been great. Other than change the oil the only problem I've had was a broken header and a dead battery and its got close to 5k miles on it.

i dont have a UTV.but if i was buying 1 it would prolly be the kubota.ive had dealings with polaris atvs.an i would not buy another 1.

bigbull338":25db9ga7 said:
i dont have a UTV.but if i was buying 1 it would prolly be the kubota.ive had dealings with polaris atvs.an i would not buy another 1.

The kubotas are terrible in my opinion. The hydrostatic transmission will send the passenger flying through the front windshield if you arent carefull. They are also heavy and rough riding.

If you are looking for speed, look at Polaris or Yamaha. For work and play look at the Deere 620i pretty hard. We have had one go through the middle of a flooded ricefield during duck season and turn around and haul over 1000lb in the bed that afternoon.

BTW the only thing in common b/t the deere unit and the kawasaki units are the engine. The Deere platform is designed, tested, and built by JD.

After 11 and 13 years we finally wore out 2 Mules. Replaced them with 2 more

I have had a Polaris 6x6 professional series for about 8 years. Hauls up to 1,000lb but top speed is 12 mph. Would probably look at a Mule or Kubota if buying a new one.

We have had a Land Pride Trekker but don't recommend it. I call it the Model T, I spend so much time working on it. The CVT pulleys get full of dust from the rubber belt and this keeps the pulley from moving all of the way back on idle. This makes the rear end spin too fast and you can't shift out of D or R into Park without killing the machine first (you can shift out of it, it's just that it won't be in neutral and will not start next time until you stick an screwdriver in the gear shift mechanism and move the lever. Also when dust and hay build up around the throttle assembly on the carb, it won't idle slow enough. This also causes shifting problems. You have to take off the cover and blow it out 3 or 4 times a year. Same with CVT, remove the cover 3 or 4 times a year and clean the pulleys. This is a big job, you have to take off the side panel, remove the battery and then remove 15 screws from the pulley cover.
The gas engine is cold natured and dies for 5 minutes when the weather is cold unless you hold the choke half way out.

I have a Polaris Ranger and vote it as the most useful tool on the farm. The independent suspension all around lets you go place3s you would not with a rigid rear axle machine. The rigid axle machines are ok if you are mostly on roads or good trails. Going across fields or through the woods you will quickly find 4 wheel independent suspension is a must. jmho. Jim

SRBeef":229rx9qq said:
Going across fields or through the woods you will quickly find 4 wheel independent suspension is a must. jmho. Jim

Check out the Bush Hog video on their suspension. It aint bull.
I have a Trail Hog, paid $7000 new 2 years ago.

Like most other things, depends on aftermarket service and what you want to lay out.