Which type of conditioner?

Help Support CattleToday:

jdg

Reaction score
Hey all-

Got everybody's input a while back on recommendation's for a mower/mower conditioner a while back. I still haven't pulled the trigger but am leaving heavy towards a Kuhn 303 or 353, with a JD 830/835 as second choice. I have a Jd 7330 (135 HP pto) tractor. I will be cutting about 60 acres of hybrid bermuda for baleage/hay, 20-60 acres of summer annuals, and 40-100 acres of ryegrass or winter grains for baleage/silage.
Two questions.

1. If gates aren't issue, would you go with an 11'6 cutting width over a 9'10, since i have plenty of horsepower?

2. Kuhn offers three types of conditioners, but for my purposes (pearl millet, ryegrass, hybrid bermuda, oats) I need help deciding between the nylon v shaped fingers and the metal finger combs (FC 303 YGC vs. FC 303 GC) Anybody had experience with either one of these conditioner types?

thanks....

I have a JD830 Moco and have been VERY pleased with the machine. This is my 3rd season to use, and I have absolutely no regrets at all with the purchase. I paid extra for the urethane rollers and think that was the right choice. I bale Bermuda/Johnson Grass hay.

Since my tractor has only a 540 RPM, my only choice was the 830 model. If you have the option to go bigger with the 835 (which it sounds like you do), I would suggest you do so if finacially possible for you.

I've never owned a Kuhn piece of equipment, so I can't say about that. I know folks who have owned Kuhn and they seem high on the brand. I sure have enjoyed my JD830 and would be hard pressed to believe Kuhn could be any better with their cutter compared to the Deere.

Latest posts