Which Milk Replacer??

Help Support CattleToday:

hyp7

Reaction score
Got a couple bucket calves coming and was at our local Orchelans and they have the premium 20/20 25#bag for $39 and was going to get that but I spotted a small 8# bucket of milk MR 24%/24% for $20. I have read that more protien is better but have read also regular 20/20 will work.
I would like to get the best I can for these littleones.
Would like your opinions.
Thanks Hyp7

The 20:20 will work ok this time of year (I'm thinking your worst cold is pretty much past). The single most important issue with replacers are that they are made 100% from milk and milk byproducts NO SOY.

I use 20-20 all the time just make sure its all milk . you will prbably get the best buy if you buy it in a 50 lb bag , you will need about 1 50 lb bag to get each calf to weaning at about 8 weeks. I used to get medicated replacer but I just heard that medicated replacers will no longer be available.

20/20 will work but I've found you can get much better growth and healthier calves by going with a higher protein level in the replacer. I am currently using 26/20 and at a rate of 2 pounds of powder per calf per day. They sure are growing fast!

Thank you guys for the fast replys.
I checked the package and it is 100% milk and whey protein. But the only higher protein stuff comes in 8# amounts. Could I mix some of the higher protein stuff in with the 20/20 or just get the higher protein stuff. 2lbs per calf a $20 bucket would only last me 2 days with 2 calves and be alot more expencive. Also the largest amount I can buy in the 20/20 is 25# bag.
thanks for the help.

hyp7":t3jvujug said:
Thank you guys for the fast replys.
I checked the package and it is 100% milk and whey protein. But the only higher protein stuff comes in 8# amounts. Could I mix some of the higher protein stuff in with the 20/20 or just get the higher protein stuff. 2lbs per calf a $20 bucket would only last me 2 days with 2 calves and be alot more expencive. Also the largest amount I can buy in the 20/20 is 25# bag.
thanks for the help.
At the cost I wouldn;t mess with the expensive stuff unless it was to put it in safe deposit box.
Just get the 20:20 and follow the directions for the weight of the calf

I currently have a bottle calf now shes about 4 weeks old. I use dumor 20/20 medicated at 8 oz/ 2 quarts twice a day and all the 18% calf starter she wants. She is doing great. Wouldnt 2 lbs of 26% protein powder per day be waste of money coming out the other end.

If you can get it, Cow's Match is good stuff. More expensive but if you want to get the most out of your calves I haven't found much better. Land O'Lakes has been doing a lot of research on calf rearing and has discovered that a) by feeding twice a day with regular MR calves are on a starvation diet and b) hey, if we try to mimic what a calf would normally get if nursing a cow they do better. Weird.

shadyhollownj":3dorv98u said:
I currently have a bottle calf now shes about 4 weeks old. I use dumor 20/20 medicated at 8 oz/ 2 quarts twice a day and all the 18% calf starter she wants. She is doing great. Wouldnt 2 lbs of 26% protein powder per day be waste of money coming out the other end.
Whole milk on a DM Basis contains 25-26% protein and 29-30% fat. It is proven that 0.2 pounds of protein (what your feeding with a 20% replacer at 1 lb/day) is not nearly what they should be getting. Further the calves are not getting the energy they need to be growing at a decent rate. I have researched this intensely and have started experimenting with an accelerated feeding program. I'm not saying it is THE way to go but the results I am seeing are pointing towards this being a far superior way to grow bottle calves. Obviously I have a lot to lose if the calves don't grow the way they should be so it isn't like I'm making recommendations that won't work. The calves grow faster, are healthier with a stronger immune system, and they are more efficient in feed:gain. Yes it costs more but you get what you pay for.

Good to know nova. I thought that feeding that much protein would cause issues in a calf. I am just following the directions of 16 oz in 4 quarts a day. She is eating about 1.5 lbs a day of 18% calf starter at 4 weeks old so I figure thats about .45 lbs of protein a day. She seems to be doing good but its my first bottle claf so what do I know.

Haven't raised a bottle calf since we sold the dairy but we always fed our calves fresh milk right out of the pipeline and had water and calf starter in front of them from day one. One year out of over 500 calves we lost 3 calves... obviously I had nothing to do with calf raising. My wife did it entirely. That's something else that has been proven over time too is that women do a much better job of raising bottle calves than men. :oops: :oops:

Checked at feed store Saturday. Their all milk 20/20 was $65.00...made by Dairy Manufacturers in Prosper, Texas

Latest posts