Which headgate?

Help Support CattleToday:

Air gator

Reaction score
I know this isn't in the perfect category...but..I basically have a choice of buying a headgate at Tractor Supply or Rural King.
It is basically Tarter 6 automatic or a County Line Heavy Duty automatic. Which would you choose?

Any other ideas? Thanks so much.

I guess a headgate is like everything else. Everyone has their own favorite. And depending on the operation it's not a one size fits all answer.

I'm a big advocate of the Priefert Model 91. It's a scissor type and you don't have to change any settings between calves and bulls. Also it opens wide and gives the cows plenty of room to exit. Makes catching cows with horns easier too. It can be used as a manual or an automatic if you're by yourself. I have several automatic "saloon door" type headgates and they get the job done in the end but I much prefer the scissor type gates.

My recommendation would be to try and find a used Priefert. However there's nothing wrong with the two you're looking at. Guess it's kinda like an apple and an orange. They will both sustain life they just taste different. Good luck and happy hunting.

I will start out by saying I agree with saving or waiting for better quality used.Not to argue,but it would depend on your situation as to if the scissor-type will work.From what I know,they would require a second person to operate the gate while the other pushes cattle up.And,it's good if that person knows what they are doing.Unless you can open the gate enough that the animal thinks they can go through and tries it themself. :?:
My main experience is with the "saloon" type which can be worked with one person.I have an old Tox o Wik and a newer Big Valley.Both have their advantages.
The County Line looks like a Tarter.Provided the same steel is used,it should come down to which is cheaper.If you only have a few cattle,it won't matter much because you won't use it that many times or that hard and you are looking at the heavy duty models.I have three neighbors who use Tarter and get along well. Twenty-five to thirty pairs twice per year.Mostly quiet cattle and operators.All rank stock around here gets sold.
Are there any owned by neighbors you could check to see what you like or don't about one as it is being used?
One final thought.If you can,cover it,if only tying a tarp over it when not in use.Rust has a way of creeping in even with oil or grease.Just watch out for bee nests under the tarp :hide:

Air gator":26bmhpu6 said:
I basically have a choice of buying a headgate at Tractor Supply or Rural King.
Tarter 6 automatic or a County Line Heavy Duty automatic.
Which would you choose?
The Tarter 6

Tarter 6 auto is $20 more ($850 vs $830 retail list price) 6' 9.5" tall and 343 lbs (32 lbs more than County Line HD)
County Line HD auto 6' 7" and 311 lbs

The Tarter costs 2.5% more but weighs 10% more

Ask the store manager if/when Tarter will be on sale or what you might be able to do to get a discount.

Scissor type for me, the saloon type if they keep pressure trying to back up or pushing forward can be hard to get em loose sometimes.

bse":1x9mt5y4 said:
Scissor type for me, the saloon type if they keep pressure trying to back up or pushing forward can be hard to get em loose sometimes.

Yep. And on rare occasions I've had them hit the saloon door type, it wouldn't completely lock for whatever reason, they jump backwards, it opens partially, they jump forward again, make it all the way out or worse, get caught by the hips. Try to get one to back up then! Only had it happen a couple of times but it's a mess when it does.

Just throwing it out there, I have a Priefert 91 and have never had anyone help me. It'll catch anything that tries to get through.
I see a fair number of Tarters around here, but have never asked anyone how they liked them.

Priefert 91 retail list $1,050 plus $200 shipping = $1,250
Tarter 6 picked up at local retailer $850
guess you could start a go fund me page and write a sob story to beg others to pay the extra $400 for you.

I really like the Q-Catch. Quiet and easy to operate. The Q-catch chute allows you the option to operate the headgate from the rear of the chute too, which could be handy when working alone.

JMJ Farms":2f7cuv5y said:
bse":2f7cuv5y said:

Yep. And on rare occasions I've had them hit the saloon door type, it wouldn't completely lock for whatever reason, they jump backwards, it opens partially, they jump forward again, make it all the way out or worse, get caught by the hips. Try to get one to back up then! Only had it happen a couple of times but it's a mess when it does.
Have had that happen! Also if they hit one side with their neck pushing it out (open) and the other side with their shoulder pushing it in then you can end up with some pretty twisted up pieces of metal!

I looked at the TSC head gates a few years ago. They had bothe CL and Tartar at the time. The Countyline one looked pretty dinky to me and already had rust showing where I don't think it should have rusted. Might work for you tho.
I went with a Prefeirt 91 auto/manual tho.

Son of Butch":25x1ptp6 said:
guess you could start a go fund me page and write a sob story to beg others to pay the extra $400 for you.

Got mine new for around $700 if I remember correctly.

jwimberly":j1xv20mc said:
Son of Butch":j1xv20mc said:

Got mine new for around $700 if I remember correctly.

That sounds about right. Mine was $800 and change at the local dealer (McCoys) after they added some freight or something.

https://www.atwoods.com/priefert-head-gate-hg91.html
https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/priefe ... 0000046768

Proof that it pays to shop around. If you can find it in stock at a local dealer preifert 91 seems to be the consensus choice as better and cheaper than either tarter or county line head gates.

Thanks to all of you for your help.
I wish I had an Atwoods around here...none in Florida.
We'll see what I can find around here.

Latest posts