WHICH BERMUDA

Help Support CattleToday:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
Im thinking about sprigging a couple of my fields this fall to bermuda,seed prices are high,I can get bermuda sprigged for what I am paying for seed.
The question is which one ? I have some costal,pretty good stuff but what about the hybrids ? Tifton and jiggs ?
good luck

Have you tried "Russell"? It will need cutting sooner that costal by about a week every cutting but it need some water. In a drought the coastal is better.

Have heard a lot of good things about both Tifton and Jiggs....get your checkbook out tho as the Tifton I know will cost you about double what regular coastal costs. (In m area anyway)

either bermuda will work for hay.i know a guy thats raised hay for 30yrs.an he has both tiffton an jiggs bermuda grasses.he bales an sales 30,000 or 40,0000 sq bales of both.an he produces an sales alot of spriggs every year.so that tells me that both make good hay.

alabama":3pvl0zzs said:
Have you tried "Russell"? It will need cutting sooner that costal by about a week every cutting but it need some water. In a drought the coastal is better.

alabama I have never heard of Russell is it a bermuda ? the big 3 around here are costal,jiggs and tifton ...............good luck

TexasBred":2yl8w0g5 said:
Have heard a lot of good things about both Tifton and Jiggs....get your checkbook out tho as the Tifton I know will cost you about double what regular coastal costs. (In m area anyway)

I got a few quotes and the type bermuda dont seem to matter to the folks I talked to,prices been running $70 to $100 an acre for the sprigging field prep is by owner.
Still cheaper than seed every year,not to mention a helluva lot less work.
good luck

bigbull338":3ml40r85 said:
either bermuda will work for hay.i know a guy thats raised hay for 30yrs.an he has both tiffton an jiggs bermuda grasses.he bales an sales 30,000 or 40,0000 sq bales of both.an he produces an sales alot of spriggs every year.so that tells me that both make good hay.

I have heard both pro and con about both tifton and jiggs for years.........folks with jiggs say its better,folks with tifton say its better.
I been reading some of these self proclaimed experts opinion and a couple points they make for jiggs makes sense,they claim jiggs is easier to get established,its more palatable and the protein is a little better in their side by side tests ,all things being equal.
good luck

we use midland 99 and ozark here in se kansas both good but have some problems diff both in behifets and problems they both took 65 dollars per ton of hay in fertlizer last year but feed nothing but that to herd all winter they are all in good shape and the few new cows we bought like it and have gain a lot of weight in the last few weeks it cost alot to grow but get hay with 13% protien and tdn %of 54 on and as recived basis moisture% was 15.3 was in 3x4x8 sq baleds here bermuda is very good feed but exp thanks ron

Angus/Brangus":18mcjmce said:
Jiggs will establish faster if conditions are somewhat lacking - very aggressive and can be planted with just tops cultivated into fertile ground. Tifton might be harder to establish in tough conditions but if the soil bed is prepared properly and with the proper soil additives then it performs well AND generally has a higher protein content than Jiggs. It too can be planted using tops. If you plant tops make sure they are fresh and green. Get them into moist soil fast and then pack it all down.

Yes I believe you are right,what i should have posted was.........jiggs is easier to establish,but tifton has better palability and better protein.................good luck