Whey = weight?

Help Support CattleToday:

Petercoates87

Reaction score
Hey everyone. So just got a message from my local cheese maker. He is wondering if I'd be interested in taking some or all his whey. Tell please what benefit I could get from this. In weight gains food consumption n so on. I'd like to know more bout it. Would I mix it with their dry ration?

Be a good source of protien, and some energy. Mixing with some ground corn, and balancing with another protien source would make some good feed.
Only problem you will run into is storage. If it sits to long it will seperate, and heat could be an issue.

Thanks I was reading bout it too. But can't find and good clear info on protein levels and so on. I know storage will be an issue. I just got a small herd of 9 head altogether so I'd probably just take a bit at a time. And store it in 5 gallon buckets in cooler.

It's 12% protien, so it would be easy to figure a mix of corn, whey, and say soy meal. The whey would be a good way to keep dust low also.

Raise some hogs. It'll put weight on them, and won't get so awful smelling "sour" like whole milk. Chickens like it too, a little dish daily....add it to baby calf bottles.....

Petercoates87":kp1w1f5e said:
Hey everyone. So just got a message from my local cheese maker. He is wondering if I'd be interested in taking some or all his whey. Tell please what benefit I could get from this. In weight gains food consumption n so on. I'd like to know more bout it. Would I mix it with their dry ration?
It's over 90% water with crude protein of less than 1% as fed. You'd have to feed a huge amount of it to get any real benefits from it. I'd rather fill the cattle up with something with some real nutritional value.

farmerjan":fwmapl2f said:
Raise some hogs. It'll put weight on them, and won't get so awful smelling "sour" like whole milk. Chickens like it too, a little dish daily....add it to baby calf bottles.....

I thought the same thing, feeding it to hogs and chickens.

Latest posts