Putting weight on thins

Help Support CattleToday:

DCA farm

Reaction score
Local sale posted some young thin cows(4-5) they are selling today I'd like to assume they are thin from
The lack of hay we had in the area this winter and people not having a good rotational plan so their entire place is scarce of grass still I've got the grass may try and pick them up. Would y'all recommend putting them on feed along with pasture or just worming and turning out on green and forgetting about them. For awhile

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Are you looking to fatten them up to sell or are you hoping to keep them as breeding stock?

I would have kept them but I went and looked at them today they were not what I would want acted like fence jumpers and lighter than the pictures made them
Look so I didn't even throw out a bid.

DCA farm said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Are you looking to fatten them up to sell or are you hoping to keep them as breeding stock?

I would have kept them but I went and looked at them today they were not what I would want acted like fence jumpers and lighter than the pictures made them

You probably saved yourself a headache.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
DCA farm said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

I don't normally buy thin cows but I figured these would go cheap and I was correct none went over $300 but I wouldn't have gave $200. There was a couple black cows 3-5 year olds 1-3 months bred also they all went under $600 but they were acting fools so I didn't bid on the either. Just wasn't in the buying mood today will see if I pick any up Monday at a different place

DCA farm said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
DCA farm said:

I don't normally buy thin cows but I figured these would go cheap and I was correct none went over $300 but I wouldn't have gave $200. There was a couple black cows 3-5 year olds 1-3 months bred also they all went under $600 but they were acting fools so I didn't bid on the either. Just wasn't in the buying mood today will see if I pick any up Monday at a different place

Good luck.

Doesn't take much, just feed and water to put weight on healthy thin cows.

I usually buy the thin calves and cows that nobody wants. Everyone looks at me and laughs when they come through the ring. I laugh all the way to the bank when i sell them a few months later.

I buy them bred usually but rarely figure on keeping them through the next winter.
But normally if they are not bred and start gaining weight they will cycle. Something about the weight gain seems to trigger it.

Not for everyone or anyone that wants their neighbors to think they have the best front pasture cows. I'm in it only for the money.
I buy 100% what most people would consider thin #3 calves. Sell 80% #1, a few #2, and 1 or 2 don't change except to gain lots of weight. Still make money.

kenny thomas said:
I usually buy the thin calves and cows that nobody wants. Everyone looks at me and laughs when they come through the ring. I laugh all the way to the bank when i sell them a few months later.

I've got plenty of grass coming in and not enough cows to eat it. Main reason I'm
Thinking about buying thin cows to run on it but I may just keep buying the big fat girls I ain't had any issues with them yet. I figure I may have a little more trouble out of thins

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Allenw said:
Doesn't take much, just feed and water to put weight on healthy thin cows.

No long term damage to the reproductive system?

I never kept any long enough to worry about it, I don't know what long term effect would be, I would be less concerned about a thin cow that's gaining weight breeding then an over conditioned cow breeding.

DCA farm said:
kenny thomas said:

I've got plenty of grass coming in and not enough cows to eat it. Main reason I'm
Thinking about buying thin cows to run on it but I may just keep buying the big fat girls I ain't had any issues with them yet. I figure I may have a little more trouble out of thins

I don't know never had the money to buy fat cows. Usually was trying to feed some low quality hay up when buying cows and the ones that hadn't seen much to eat didn't seem to care what you put in front of them.

I always did good buying thin cows. Worm them, vaccinate them, give them minerals, and give them something to eat. This time of year they should just bloom.

DCA farm" Would y'all recommend putting them on feed along with pasture or just worming and turning out on green and forgetting about them. For awhile [/quote said:
Depends on your goals.

A nutritionist would tell you that they are short on energy and minerals, and a vet would tell you they could come down with pneumonia...

I am not too worried, but I do like them tame and alive, so I usually supplement with a 5 gallon bucket(s) for the first couple weeks.

Stocker Steve said:
DCA farm" Would y'all recommend putting them on feed along with pasture or just worming and turning out on green and forgetting about them. For awhile [/quote said:
Depends on your goals.

A nutritionist would tell you that they are short on energy and minerals, and a vet would tell you they could come down with pneumonia...

I am not too worried, but I do like them tame and alive, so I usually supplement with a 5 gallon bucket(s) for the first couple weeks.
If I decide to buy some thins that's what I'll do is feed them by bucket along with pasture.

Latest posts