Where to sell finished cattle ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Lrj505

Reaction score
Where/how does a person sell old cows for slaughter or finished steers? Sale barns are just a bunch of people trying to steal cows lol (me included). For instance I have old heavy cull cows instead of .47-.52 cwt at sale barn, if I could take them straight to the slaughter myself and make more. I am south of Albuquerque. I assume steers at 1,000-1,200 would go to the same place. Thanks

ky launched a new KY burger program with kroger.

I just read people are getting an average of 1.18 for old cull cows ! !

only have to keep them 60 days.. and can slaughter them.. ppl are buying the up for .50 cents a lb .. 60 days.. double the money.

I know a cattle trader that pays up to .70 cents a lb for old cows and sends a semi load somewhere. And he is making money. Done it his whole life. I can't figure out where and how. I saw him buy 30 bulls last week at auction for .74 cwt.

I suggest you study some of the USDA market reports on dressed beef sales especially on cutter cows and bulls. Then when you figure out dressing percentage on cutters (46 to 52%) you will see that you have been getting a fair price on your cull cows.

ddd75":gfi020j6 said:

only have to keep them 60 days.. and can slaughter them.. ppl are buying the up for .50 cents a lb .. 60 days.. double the money.

That's not quite the way that works. You do have to own them at least 60 days and you have to prove it. The price you get is double the state wide average for cows, you are paid on hot carcass weight after cut out. I sold four that way about a month and a half ago got $1.20/lb.,cleared about an extra $100 per head over sale barn price.

rollinhills":3vvgg8lh said:
ddd75":3vvgg8lh said:

That's not quite the way that works. You do have to own them at least 60 days and you have to prove it. The price you get is double the state wide average for cows, you are paid on hot carcass weight after cut out. I sold four that way about a month and a half ago got $1.20/lb.,cleared about an extra $100 per head over sale barn price.
That sounds closer to being right. A cow that dresses 50% ( and most do not) that brought $0.60 liveweight would be worth $1.20 dressed hanging on the rail.

rollinhills":3tupvnl1 said:
ddd75":3tupvnl1 said:

oh i see.. figured it was to good ! 100 extra is still nice though!

Call Caviness Packing. They pay $1.10 ish hanging weight for cull cows and cull bulls. No sale barn cows. Is that good ?

The reason they told you no sale barn cows is because they already have buyers at a good many sales. No sense in having you go in a run their buyer. That $1.10 would be for a straight barreled cow in body condition 5-6.

What if I bought heavy bred old cows $550ish at sale weaned calf at 3 months and sold cows for slaughter? Would I get most of my money back ?

ddd75":1h3d4hcq said:
rollinhills":1h3d4hcq said:
ddd75":1h3d4hcq said:

oh i see.. figured it was to good ! 100 extra is still nice though!

I told you wrong earlier I got $1.29/lb, our biggest problem is we are a long way away, trucking cost us $47.00/hd and we still cleared 100 bucks extra. Beef Solutions is the name of the burger they are selling in Kroger stores, I think I heard it was in Kroger's around Cinnci.

If you are in the Panhandle there is also Booker Pack. Some from our area haul cows directly down there.

We have one if it is still in business after the Government gets done with them for having bout 50+ illegal Mexicans working there. They will pay dressed weight and you come out a little better than cattle barn.

Lrj505":3kbjc3co said:
What if I bought heavy bred old cows $550ish at sale weaned calf at 3 months and sold cows for slaughter? Would I get most of my money back ?

Hey now that's how we roll.... :nod:
Don't know where you are but must meat packers will buy the cows. You don't get paid for several days based on hanging wieght and grade. We generally just go to the sale barn with them.

Stocker calves can be sold at capital livestock in schwertner Texas. They will buy 1 or 1000 head...8:00 to 5:00 5 days a week. You stand right beside the buyer while he wieghs and makes offer on your cattle. You get paid within minutes. . First class outfit and where the majority of my calves go.

Is it worth finishing steers myself or taking $800 at 450 pounds at sale ?

And where are finding someone willing to pay $1.777/lb for feeders?
You can ship cull cows direct to any packing plant. "Generally" you make a little more than if you sell same cow thru live ring, BUT, you are taking the risk of the carcass being condemned. If it is, $0.00 payment. That's why you get less in the ring, buyers are taking that risk.

Latest posts