Where to sell finished cattle ?

Help Support CattleToday:

All I have now are 300 pounders. I am trying to put another month of weight on them . It's been going up all year, while cows and pairs are low. We are in a serious drought no grass, starving cows, and cow hay $220 a ton. Horse hay $350 a ton in small bales. Attached a pic of last years prices in March. I usually wait until March and sell 500-600 pounds. But I figure if I sell now I can buy a 1 heavy bred cow From the money from 1 300-350 steer.

I may not be following what your doing. You are weaning in the fall at 300# and feeding another 7 months or 200 days. To add another 250-300 pounds then marketing?

Be careful when selling them. Try to find the buyers who are willing to pay your price.

Who knows of a slaughterhouse in Texas that's buys finished weight steer? Lone star will pay cull cow price.

rnh2 said:
How many pounds a day can an old thin cow gain on really good grass or cover crop?

I haven't fooled with pound cows in many years. When I did, a good deworming and and 3 or 4 pounds of feed a day, wen't a long way. Early on, I've seen them gain 50 pounds a month. That slows, as they near good condition. If your thinking about getting in that game, a shocking number of the cows youll buy are bred. You reach a point, were they have slicked off and are showing. Might as well let them calve at that point. My contact for selling them, passed away many years ago. If I could get back in, the only way I would, is if that was the only cows on my place.

texan@heart said:
Caviness Pack Hereford, TX. They will take everything you have.

That'd be handy.

Our first priority is service. Over the years, the company has worked very closely with area ranchers and dairy operators on their cull cow and bull programs. Our company has continually upgraded our harvest and fabrication process in order to provide our suppliers with the highest carcass yields and $ value possible. Since cull cows and bulls can be 10%-15% of a ranch or dairy operation's revenue, it needs to be maximized! We can help.Our Cattle Procurement office is located in Hereford, TX at Caviness Packing Company. Call 806.357.2333 if you have an interest in marketing your cows or bulls. We would like to work with you to optimize value.

Ph: 806-357-2333
Fax: 806-357-2377

Latest posts