Votes: 0 0.0%
  • In the loin

• In the shoulder/forearm

• In the leg

• Total voters
You should follow the directions. Beef quality assurance suggests taht your only give shots in the neck. I assure you that a picture will appear as to were you should. I give all sots in the neck, sub Q unless told otherwise.

Scotty

Scotty":2tudn48k said:
You should follow the directions. Beef quality assurance suggests taht your only give shots in the neck. I assure you that a picture will appear as to were you should. I give all sots in the neck, sub Q unless told otherwise.

Scotty

i totally agree... from what i've read (and ive read a lot) every shot you give damages the meat, and the meat may have to be cut off if severly damaged.... i always give my injections in the neck because that is one of the least valuable cuts of meat.....

Victoria":36kq75ar said:
Just read in a cattle magazine the other day that Pfizer is working on shots that will be given in the ear.
Theres already one for BRD out there that will be given in the ear. might be Pfizer.it similar to micotil .can imagine that could be a nightmare

Restraint is key! I find it quite simple to implant in the ear. I don't think it would be any harder to give a subQ injection in the ear, IM would be difficult, but then again I've never implanted a full grown animal :lol:

yeah but if it is like micotil im chicken enough injecting it in the neck let alone the ear i would have to bolt the rascals head to the head catch to feel safe enough .that stuffs like handling nitro :shock: just waiting for that needle to make a wrong turn ;-)

ALACOWMAN":1u8d86xo said:
Victoria":1u8d86xo said:
Just read in a cattle magazine the other day that Pfizer is working on shots that will be given in the ear.
Theres already one for BRD out there that will be given in the ear. might be Pfizer.it similar to micotil .can imagine that could be a nightmare

Its called Excede and is on the market now...Made by Pfizer...Might work OK in the lots where you have a chute, but could be a little tough for range doctoring....

And I agree with Alacowman about Micotil- like playing with a hand grenade- heard of too many people that died from accidents to make it worth having around....Stick with Pen G, Nuflor and LA-200......

I'm not sure if the ear shot from Pfizer is in Canada yet or not. I thought the cattle magazine said it was on the way but I could be wrong - it could be here already. I can see it slowing down things. We have a chute but don't usually bother catching their heads and putting on the nose piece. Honestly it would make me nervous putting it in the ear, unless the calf was perfectly still I wouldn't want to do it. :shock:

ALACOWMAN":2u341nmc said:
yeah but if it is like micotil im chicken enough injecting it in the neck let alone the ear i would have to bolt the rascals head to the head catch to feel safe enough .that stuffs like handling nitro :shock: just waiting for that needle to make a wrong turn ;-)

boy you aint a kiddin! Dad and I were checking some stockers/feeders we had grazing on alfalfa n one calf had a bad foot botherin' him Dad got the dartgun (.22) and was loading a dart when all the sudden KABLUII!!! dart busted or something and that micotil went all over the pickup! Dad got some in his eyes.. I was scared it was gunna mess his eyes up! So we don't use micotil no more. a-180, la200, draxin, nuflor,ect ect...

The real answer to this question will vary, depending on what you are needling the animal for and what you are injecting with. Some drugs are needed to be shot into muscle, and others under the skin. Some drugs suggest appropriate places for the injection site.

Myself - I don't needle animals. I'm needle-phobic.

Latest posts