Where does old iron go to die?

Help Support CattleToday:

a guy can do alot with a little old gas tractor like a 8n or a massey 35, i can see renting a pasture and leaving one of those there to feed hay with in the winter. if i told yall how much work my 35 does every year you wouldnt believe me

I have some old iron, a 1964 JD 3020 and and JD 301A industrial tractor. The 301 is a commercial duty 1020 and I wouldn't sell it for $10k. The 3020 is my wife's tractor, she mows, rakes and tedders hay with it and it's not for sale. Myself I'm soft I like AC, power - shuttle shift, radio and 4x4.

MtnCows93":24hbjw4v said:
...leaving one of those there to feed hay with in the winter.

Would work if you feed small enough bales, and live someplace that doesn't get lots of snow and mud.

I'd bet the farm a Ferguson 35 isn't going to lift a 1200 lbs bale and cart it out in 2 to 5 feet of snow.

Old equipment worth good money for parts to lots of guys, because $500 doesn't get you much at the dealer's counter. Seen old McCormick drills and such go for a few hundred bucks at auction for just this reason. The real change will be when all the 60+ guys retire or die from farming. Then nothing older than 20 years old will be worth squat. Young farmers don't fix machinery, they trade it in. 90% would quit if they had to fix it.

Aaron":3iecy2zv said:
Old equipment worth good money for parts to lots of guys, because $500 doesn't get you much at the dealer's counter. Seen old McCormick drills and such go for a few hundred bucks at auction for just this reason. The real change will be when all the 60+ guys retire or die from farming. Then nothing older than 20 years old will be worth squat. Young farmers don't fix machinery, they trade it in. 90% would quit if they had to fix it.
and those guys are probably buying everything on credit.. works fine with decent prices and artificially low interest rates

You're thinking of dairy guys - not young guys.

There's also a whole whack of new people entering the farming world that have 5 poorly cleared acres, a cow, a donkey, 3 goats and a dozen chickens that buy that old junk. It'll go to them or scrap sales, it'll move. It won't be parked in the woods like days of old.

I'm young i run old and late model. Put alot of hours on tractors every year. Whatever it is needs to be in good working order. I have a lot going on and break downs cost time which i don't have much of. On this farm we don't trade much run it till its pretty much wore out retire to lighter duty if possible and replace.

chevytaHOE5674":13pkn2cg said:
MtnCows93":13pkn2cg said:
...leaving one of those there to feed hay with in the winter.

Would work if you feed small enough bales, and live someplace that doesn't get lots of snow and mud.

I'd bet the farm a Ferguson 35 isn't going to lift a 1200 lbs bale and cart it out in 2 to 5 feet of snow.
nope, and ive never seen 2 feet of snow and we dont have 1200 pound bales depends on where your at i guess

MtnCows93":3szpid57 said:
a guy can do alot with a little old gas tractor like a 8n or a massey 35, i can see renting a pasture and leaving one of those there to feed hay with in the winter. if i told yall how much work my 35 does every year you wouldnt believe me
As long as it never rains or is never foggy/dewey mornings when you want to put out hay with an 8n....

greybeard":3u7sic7t said:
MtnCows93":3u7sic7t said:
As long as it never rains or is never foggy/dewey mornings when you want to put out hay with an 8n....
Best thing I ever did besides selling it was converting my 8n to 12 volt.

True Grit Farms":22lpb2q5 said:
greybeard":22lpb2q5 said:
MtnCows93":22lpb2q5 said:
Best thing I ever did besides selling it was converting my 8n to 12 volt.
best thing I ever did was converting our Leyland 154 to negative ground with an alternator and electronic ignition!

i have JD 212.. i throw the wheelweight on.. she'lll do anything.. put on a homemade loader... she'll lift a feedsack. no problem. mud? it loves it. snow? it eats it. no need for anything else.

I don't have any old tractors sitting around unused. I do have 3 "premium" piles of junk of all sorts. When I need to build/modify something the first place I go is to my "sweet" spots and let my imagination run wild. Interesting just how many problems I have solved for nothing.

Texasmark":2yq06vqq said:
I don't have any old tractors sitting around unused. I do have 3 "premium" piles of junk of all sorts. When I need to build/modify something the first place I go is to my "sweet" spots and let my imagination run wild. Interesting just how many problems I have solved for nothing.
Same here. I have a"premium" merchandise row. I always have to be very careful when mowing around it though.

ohiosteve":5bylut83 said:
Texasmark":5bylut83 said:
Same here. I have a"premium" merchandise row. I always have to be very careful when mowing around it though.

On the "mowing around it", I have a chain harrow and depending on application requirements may use it spikes up or down. When I leave it near a field and don't put it back where I keep it and the grass gets up, easy for me to forget it's there and deadly, especially when the spikes are up.

Latest posts