Where does old iron go to die?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I picked up several project tractors over the years. Mostly models from the 60s and 70s. None are green. Not a lot of demand for this kind unless they have a FEL. Probably less demand going forward as the smaller farmers fold.
I got them in good running condition but did not restore them. I have one now that needs a new head gasket but the rest are OK. They are shedded and see light use - - perhaps 10 to 50 hours per year for most. They should last for decades at this pace.
Do you see a build up of this kind of iron in some local sheds, or do most move them to a bone yard to avoid buying tires, and to make room for shiny zero interest models?

most of anything with any kind of HP to do anything still brings pretty good money here. I don't think you could get into a decent running 50hp+ tractor for under 5k.

That with most being 2wd make a pretty useless tractor.

I see lots sitting behind barns or out under a tree, cylinder heads off maybe, maybe 3pt section off.......rusting away never to run again.

As much as rubber cost after a few years a lot of old iron may not be worth putting new on, batteries, etc.

Quite a few pieces of non-running junk (in my opinion) sprinkled around my area also. Often wondered why they were keeping them in their pastures to have to mow around.

See it on a lot of older farms. "Round-to-it" projects that never get done because of failing health or old age. The heirs usually want nothing to do with it so the property and equipment goes up for auction.

Atimm693":agq56kxg said:
See it on a lot of older farms. "Round-to-it" projects that never get done because of failing health or old age. The heirs usually want nothing to do with it so the property and equipment goes up for auction.

Saw a lot of places cleaned up when scrap iron hit $300/T to support booming construction in China. Just one farm locally with a bunch on pasture iron. More stashed in old unused square bale sheds.
Saw a brief old equipment price run up when corn hit $7/bu. Demand is alot softer now. partially because of all the "retirement" auctions.

I like the older ones myself, I prefer to pay cash and repair vs finance. I would like to find a deal on a older 100hp+, just waiting for that right deal to come along. I know the 4x4's are nice to have but the 2wd have been around many years and well proven plus a winch is cheaper than a new 4x4. I have a winch setup on 2"reciever that I leave on my MF 2wd. My Case with FEL, I can normally use the FEL to get out. I had some 8n/9n's and MF35's to play with/restore and flip them for $$ . Sometimes I do good, sometimes not so good if you figure in labor.

SALTBRANCH2":29chrcnz said:
I know the 4x4's are nice to have but the 2wd have been around many years and well proven plus a winch is cheaper than a new 4x4. I have a winch setup on 2"reciever that I leave on my MF 2wd.

How big of a winch are you using?

ddd75":c7bq9wwi said:
most of anything with any kind of HP to do anything still brings pretty good money here. I don't think you could get into a decent running 50hp+ tractor for under 5k.

If you're saying a 2wd is pretty useless I have to disagree. I see no reason at all for 4wd in any aspect of hay making.

Stocker Steve":3v0e8m44 said:
SALTBRANCH2":3v0e8m44 said:
I know the 4x4's are nice to have but the 2wd have been around many years and well proven plus a winch is cheaper than a new 4x4. I have a winch setup on 2"reciever that I leave on my MF 2wd.

How big of a winch are you using?
I have the Harbor Freight 12k on the tractor. Over kill but it works great. I have a HF 9k winch on my ranch truck and a HF 5k I use on my trailers to pull stuff up. I have all setup on 2" receivers so I can move them when needed. They are cheap $$ winch's and so far I have not had any trouble with them

I like old stuff, but it has to be functional.. Old tricycle tractors are useless, stuff without 3pt hitch is useless, most old gasser tractors you can't afford to run if you're doing field work. It's gotta have a job otherwise it might as well rust in someone elses yard.

ohiosteve":2rhe54hp said:
ddd75":2rhe54hp said:

If you're saying a 2wd is pretty useless I have to disagree. I see no reason at all for 4wd in any aspect of hay making.
+1!
We have one big old beast of a 4x4 tractor that scrapes manure and pulls the subsoiler, and clears snow. Everything else gets done with 2wd.

I don't get why people put tractor hours on expensive tractors.. raking, baling, etc with 4wd units when they don't turn as sharp and cost more to run... unless they're just looking for write-offs

Old gassers used to be popular for doing FEL work. I still have a JI Case 730 gasser and an 830 diesel with FEL, mostly for moving round bales during the warm months. The high speed reverse they have can be handy. Now most want a cab tractor or a big skid steer.

FWA is really handy, but folks used to live w/o it. I think you need to set up your fall and winter feeding differently to keep it reasonable for a 2wd.

Stocker Steve":2iqf929t said:
Old gassers used to be popular for doing FEL work. I still have a JI Case 730 gasser and an 830 diesel with FEL, mostly for moving round bales during the warm months. The high speed reverse they have can be handy. Now most want a cab tractor or a big skid steer.

FWA is really handy, but folks used to live w/o it. I think you need to set up your fall and winter feeding differently to keep it reasonable for a 2wd.
Chains and a counterweight, an old chevy 4x4 truck.

Nesikep":3xd9v0k5 said:
I don't get why people put tractor hours on expensive tractors.. raking, baling, etc with 4wd units when they don't turn as sharp and cost more to run... unless they're just looking for write-offs

In my case I have a limited number of 100+ hp tractors for hay making and the MFWD tractors can do everything the 2wd can do while offering a smoother ride, more stability, better traction both for going and for stopping. Then the very same MFWD machine can have a 2nd purpose as a useful loader tractor, winter feeding tractor, etc.

Then when it comes time to sell or trade in the MFWD tractor bring better money and are much more desirable.

I'm very new to the tractor aspects of farming. Did a little brushhogging in the past but this year did our own hay (on some fairly-steep-to-me fields). Even aside from the fields, our farm road (goes between fields and down to barn) is quite steep and rocky. Do y'all not use 4wd on hills?
Hubs used to caution me against using 4wd in the truck in the winter unless there was really a ton of snow. (Early failure of the X G 7 demodulator). But our roads are hella steep, drift over, and yours truly is often the one plowing the ones around us, by default. So I finally said that if I'm plowing out half the county on steep hills, by george I will use 4wd if there's 10 snowflakes, and if it means something goes out sooner, so be it. (I do know it won't turn as well etc).

chevytaHOE5674":1t0gzmse said:
Nesikep":1t0gzmse said:

In my case I have a limited number of 100+ hp tractors for hay making and the MFWD tractors can do everything the 2wd can do while offering a smoother ride, more stability, better traction both for going and for stopping. Then the very same MFWD machine can have a 2nd purpose as a useful loader tractor, winter feeding tractor, etc.

Then when it comes time to sell or trade in the MFWD tractor bring better money and are much more desirable.
Massey 1100's are good old high power brutes and pretty cheap.. I'm no saying there's never a need for 4wd, just that the hours on a 4wd tractor cost more.. if you save a couple thousand hours on your nice 4wd tractor it'll be worth way more when you want to sell it.. especially if it's stored indoors.. Just look at Machinery Pete and see what they're going for!

I also like not having to unhitch ever darned time I need a different piece of equipment.

I have an affinity for old equipment, they're eazzy to work on, and there's even a niche for the old trycicle tractor with a side delivery rake, exactly what I grew up raking hay on. But alas, in our quest for efficiency, and other factors many fine pieces of equipment sit out in the weather to farm no more. Nothing wrong with a to 50 or a wd allis for a small or beginning farmer, or an a farmall with all the attachments for a truck patch.

Nesikep":1dyh7k5r said:
Massey 1100's are good old high power brutes and pretty cheap..

If I had to spend 10 hours a day on a Massey 1100 or equivalent all summer long I'd quit making hay. Way short on power, painfully slow open center hydraulics, aweful cab, light front end, wtc. And buying another tractor and keeping it maintained, tires, hoses, etc would quickly outweigh any "savings" on my MFWD tractors.

Pull a 12' hydroswing discbine at 9mph and get to your end rows and have to make sharp corners on hills and soft ground your butt and heart will thank you for having MFWD.