Where did the cowbirds go?

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Might just be a local thing but I haven't seen many cowbirds this year. Got some armyworms in some grass and no birds. Cut hay the other day and no cowbirds picking at the grasshoppers or dead mice. Anyone else notice they seem to be scarce lately?

Jogeephus":3sf18vn7 said:
Might just be a local thing but I haven't seen many cowbirds this year. Got some armyworms in some grass and no birds. Cut hay the other day and no cowbirds picking at the grasshoppers or dead mice. Anyone else notice they seem to be scarce lately?
They felt like Donald Trump was being elected and self deported before he sent them back.

I'm not sure if what we call cowbirds are the same, but I've seen a lot of them this year. I think more than normal. I don't know if they showed up for the cicada hatch and stuck around, or maybe I just noticed them more this year.

This is what I call a cowbird.

h4950pi.jpg

Jogeephus":2ikkl52a said:

Now that you mention it I haven't seen any at all.

slick4591":2z9winjm said:
greybeard":2z9winjm said:
Our cowbirds are the white egrets--Plenty of them here.

Plenty of them up here.

Usually piles of them here too. Just wondering with the hurricane heading toward us if these birds moved. Maybe grasping at straws here but I think nature has a way of knowing stuff before we do. What about you folks in Florida? Have you seen any in the last week or so?

M-5":rj6da8r5 said:
Plenty around week before last cutting hay . last week none while cutting.

Did that strike you as odd? Did me. Normally I have hundreds all around me getting opportunity kills but its like they just disappeared for some reason.

I had not thought about it till you said something. I started looking for some on the way home this evening .saw about a dozen with a herd of cows about 10 miles from home . that's all I saw in the 50 mile ride

Jogeephus":3n0lbwlz said:

WI! I saw one today, and that is a very rare occurrence up here. The other bird posted is what we call a starling....or range practice!

For those not familiar with "our" cowbirds here is a picture of what it normally looks like when you are cutting hay. The birds are opportunists and are pretty savvy when it comes to an easy meal. We use them as a sign for army worms which is why I first noticed their absence. Then when I cut hay I saw none which is doubly strange. Whatever the reason their absence is strange I think.

I don't remember seeing any cowbirds in my pastures lately, but on my way to check cows this afternoon hay had just been cut in field over the road from me and it was full of them. My husband commented that there must be army worms in the field. We had some cowbirds all summer, but nothing like I saw today. Guess they all flew over to the hay field.

That may be it. They may have found some good eating some place and are just in those fields and not mine. Lot more peanuts planted this year so maybe they are spread out more. Just thought it odd I don't have them like normal.

greybeard":1odkz3tp said:
Our cowbirds are the white egrets--Plenty of them here.

Anyone ever seen a black one? When I was about 10 my granddaddy told me that sometimes You would see a black cowbird (or egret). So I started watching them every time I would see a group, looking for a black one. I've seen a black one twice since then, and no it wasn't a crow. I don't know how rare this is. Maybe not that rare at all. I just though it was interesting.