where am I?

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
In the beginning, comes the race. Jockey for position, swerve, honk, point, wait? no--just gun & go for it and your in before anyone else. The old hag in the Suburban scowls. She was never in the running--just thought she was. Your destination reached, you're in & it begins. Right away it begins. The noticing. Blank stares, shiftless masses- shifting anyway, moving against the tide--and rarely with it. Above, the eyes in the sky, thru globes of smoked acrylic, peer down on this sea of seemingly disorganized humanity. Are they-or maybe just empty sockets-watching but not watching?
Choices are made, your duty done, your load heavy, you trudge on, back to the beginning, and take your place at the end.
The Din, barely audible, but deafening, without any more than a few words actually discernible. Time now, to try to really notice. The old guy in the propelled vehicle that makes no sound--neither does he. The 20ish looking girl, struggling with a toddler-dad not to be found, nor is the wedding ring. Old before her time. The highschool girls, also older than their years, are followed by their pale opposites, who hope to make contact of any kind, via some sort of telepathic means, but are on the wrong frequency. The ocassional wandering by of the blue shirts-doing somethng, but never seeming to be doing anything, just walking about in the throng. Ironically, all are devoid of any semblence of emotion in their faces, tho constantly surrounded by bright smiley faces. The post highschool 2some, the pale winter skin contrasted by brightly lettered "Hook'em Horns' shirts, (who a year before would never be caught dead in burnt orange), look about in some sort of self inflicted aloofness. "Look at us" is what the shirts really say. The Din roars on quietly, above it all, some unintelligilble words of electronic origin--warns, pleads, exclaims, informs and thanks. A baby cries somewhere, but is unceremoniously drowned out by The Din of constant murmers. The hum is deafening--is it real--or perhaps it's all in your head-those semi-voices? Not a word can be understood-are they all whispering? Even the couple 2 feet in front of you? Lips move, a sound comes out--what language is that? Yours, but not meant for you to understand. You should be able to understand-after all, just an arm's length away. No, not really whispering, just drowned out by the total sum of the others. The Din. Wait, then shuffle ahead wait some more. How many tousands before you have done the same? In this vey spot? 10s of thousands? More? Nameless thousands-some no longer on this earth. There is no Din where they now forever sleep.
An old enough to know better, 40s something woman, is wedged into jeans that may have looked good on her 15 years ago, and a t-top that probably was lifted from her daughter's closet, reveals thru the sadness in her eyes, the stresses of 2 decades of family life. In a better time, homecoming queen/cheerleader. Not to be seen now, just fading memories. Where did it go?
Up ahead, 2 young, conspicuously neatly groomed waifs wait on a bench, quietly fidgeting, as a related oldster reads the evening news, and oblivious to the nothing going on around him, somehow holds the two boys in check from running about--by some invisible cord. Only unspoken words are exchanged between the 3---covertly encrypted as glances. Sent, deciphered, and recieved, obeyed. The boys are on the recieving end. The glances are louder than The Din.
At last, it's your turn, to pay the piper, and be thanked, tho the person doing the thanking doesn't really mean it. A never ending trail of forlorn looking pedestrians stream past her, each taking their turn at the mundane tradition we are all so familar with.
Out away from the coldness of the crowd, into an air that seems so much warmer, tho in fact it's 20 degrees below the artificial atmosphere you just left. What's that? You can hear voices-and understand the words. They're 20 feet away and you understand perfectly. How can that be? You leave this place, and let those others run their short little races, to vie for the few sq yards of asphalt you just vacated. They will soon add their silent voices to The Din.

(I wrote this in 2006. Where was I?)

Dadgum boy, you are a writer. Your English literature teacher should be very proud of you---or very jealous.

Good writing is not to just turn a skillful phrase, but to connotate a literary reality. You have done that-particularly in the folowing three lines:

"The post highschool 2some, the pale winter skin contrasted by brightly lettered "Hook'em Horns' shirts, (who a year before would never be caught dead in burnt orange), look about in some sort of self inflicted aloofness. "Look at us" is what the shirts really say."

I don't know where you were but I don't think it was New Iberia.
I will not hazard a guess beyond that because I really don't like guessing games.

BTW you misspelled "thousand" in one place. :hide:

I never wuz much of a spellur..
(I also mis-spelled "very" as 'vey'.)
No, not Nuevo Iberia--and not a town at all.
The hints are there:
Propelled vehicles that make no sound.
Blue shirts.
smiling faces all around.
globes of smoked acrylic.

Think......

greybeard":1b7fzykn said:
I never wuz much of a spellur..
(I also mis-spelled "very" as 'vey'.)
No, not Nuevo Iberia--and not a town at all.
The hints are there:
Propelled vehicles that make no sound. Wind powered?
Blue shirts.Only blue shirts I know are Navy folks. Maybe blue colar?
smiling faces all around.Getting a handout at the unemployment office?
globes of smoked acrylic.OK, got me on that one.

Think......
Good, GB.

Wal Mart sounds good and it fits, maybe on black Friday or Xmas shopping.

TennesseeTuxedo":2f7oylh1 said:
Sounds like you're in a Wal-Mart.

winner!
Had to go to walmart one night, not too long before Easter and it was a mad house. I have this hearing problem--always have had. Not that I can't hear, but that I hear "too acute--too good". I pick up conversations from all over--in a store, 2-3 aisles over. I hear the kids whispering in the back pew of church if I'm sitting in front. Can't always make out specific converations, it all melds together into this unbearable loud HUMMMM! which is why we don't go out to public events much.

Beat the lady to the parking spot, went inside, and noticed all the camera housings in their tinted domes.
smokedacrylic.jpg

Blue shirts and smiley faces all around. Been told they wear different colored shirts in different places, but all I ever see is blue.
smileyd.jpg

In most small town wallyworlds, that's where the kids hang out since there's no mall, and you can tell the snotty teens who think their farts don't smell. The ones with the high $$ college shirts and designer jeans.

"back to the beginning and take your place at the end"
Back up front to the checkout and get at the end of the line. Cashier says "thank you" but not much enthusiasm in her voice.

As Yogi Berra said:
A person can observe a lot by being observant.
Not hard to read people's lives from looking into their eyes and faces.

TennesseeTuxedo":3449zkmy said:
Sounds like you're in a Wal-Mart.

I agree. The globes are the security cams I stare at so I don't have to look at the beings.

Edit OOOPPs didn't finish reading all the replies. Memories, bad memories, made me want to leave this thread ASAP. Sorry. :hide:

Haha I saw this the other day about walmart and got a chuckle out of it. I could see several members on here doing some of the items on this list.

This is why women should not take men shopping against their will.

After I retired, my wife insisted that I accompany her on her trips to Wal-Mart. Unfortunately, like most men, I found shopping boring and preferred to get in and get out. Equally unfortunately, my wife is like most women - - she loves to browse. Yesterday my dear wife received the following letter from the local Wal-Mart.

Dear Mrs. Samsel,
Over the past six months, your husband has been causing quite a commotion in our store. We cannot tolerate this behavior and have been forced to ban both of you from the store. Our complaints against Mr.Samsel are listed below and are documented by our video surveillance cameras.

1. June 15: Took 24 boxes of condoms and randomly put them in people's carts when they weren't looking.
2 . July 2 : Set all the alarm clocks in Housewares to go off at 5-minute intervals.

3. July 7: Made a trail of tomato juice on the floor leading to the women's restroom.

4. July 19: Walked up to an employee and told her in an official voice, 'Code 3 in Housewares. Get on it right away.'

5. August 4: Went to the Service Desk and tried to put a bag of M&M's on layaway.

6. August 14: Moved a 'CAUTION - WET FLOOR' sign to a carpeted area.

7. August 15: Set up a tent in the camping department and told other shoppers he'd invite them in if they would bring pillows and blankets from the bedding department.

8. August 23: When a clerk asked if they could help him he began crying and screamed, 'Why can't you people just leave me alone?'

9. September 4: Looked right into the security camera and used it as a mirror while he picked his nose.

10. September 10: While handling guns in the hunting department, he asked t he clerk where the antidepressants were.

11. October 3: Darted around the store suspiciously while loudly humming the 'Mission Impossible' theme.

12. October 6: In the auto department, he practiced his 'Madonna look' by using different sizes of funnels.

13. October 18: Hid in a clothing rack and when people browsed through, yelled 'PICK ME! PICK ME!'

14. October 21: When an announcement came over the loud speaker, he assumed a fetal position and screamed 'OH NO! IT'S THOSE VOICES AGAIN!'

And last, but not least.
15. October 23: Went into a fitting room, shut the door, waited awhile, then yelled very loudly, 'Hey! There's no toilet paper in here!'

Regards,
Tom Richards
Wal-Mart Manager

Latest posts