When's a steer ready for the freezer?

Help Support CattleToday:

CalumetFarms

Reaction score
Hello all, I run an Angus cow/calve operation.
I rarely finish out cattle. Generally, I sell my calf crop in the spring just prior to calving season. And the cycle goes on...
But recently in the last few years, I've held back a steer, usually the smallest one of the spring group. To finish out in late summer/fall, and put beef in some friends freezers.

Last year I held him back until January, on TONS of feed but in a terribly cold winter.
Finally, after all that input, hanging weight was 560. I thought, what a waste? It seemed like the feed wasn't stacking up weight on him, but rather just maintaining what he had. Due to the cold weather. I swore I would take him before winter next year. So here I am, in the same position, but trying to improve my efficiency at this.

My question is what weight is ideal?
I competed (many years ago) in stockmanship, and I'm capable of judging body score. And finish condition.
But what age, weight should one aim for before shipment?

Current steer in question is 3/4 black Angus 1/4 Hereford. 18 months old.
Been grained for a couple months.
He's around 800lbs to my eye.
I've got him on schedule to ride late this week, but can push it back if needed.

Thoughts? Advise?

1020181255_Burst01_zpseepkeffm.jpg

1020181256a_Burst01_zpsfmpac6t7.jpg

He looks like he has a way to go yet. If you are going to invest money in feed you might be best off selecting one of your best calves to feed rather than the poorest doer.

Ken

Ideal market or finish weight is 1250-1300 lbs. Average dressing percentage on beef cattle is 60-65%. As far as feed goes calves should be on a diet to grow frame and muscle (30% corn or other concentrate, 70% roughage) when they are on the lighter side. Once they get closer to finish weight (900-1000) switch the ration to 70% corn-30% roughage. You can adjust the ration as they grow. The thing to remember is that when they are growing the frame and muscle need to be developed. Other wise they get too fat with not enough product.

CalumetFarms":2wf870k6 said:
Current steer in question is 3/4 black Angus 1/4 Hereford.
Been grained for a couple months.
I've got him on schedule to ride late this week, but can push it back if needed.

Thoughts?

1020181256a_Burst01_zpsfmpac6t7.jpg
IMO
Cancel his ride. He won't really be ready until after Ground Hogs Day (104 days away) another 120 days on grain will do
him a lot of good... he could be a sweet :heart: by Valentine's Day.

just took in a 28 month old steer.. weighed 1300 lbs.

all grass.. but insanely high quality finishing grass..

just had a steak last night from him... wow.. one of the best i've ever had. grass fed would have a whole new meaning if everyone finished them like this...!

I'd cancel your date and feed him through winter. Has he been wormed?

Age and weight would be relative to breed, feed program, and conditions. A simple rule for a small operation would be to ease him up to 20+ pounds of corn a day, and keep him there for a hundred days. Also never hurts to have a pen of them, as they seem to do better in a crowd. I would not butcher that calf yet, unless I was really hungry. I agree that Ballentymes day would be a nice target, but that might even be too soon.

Got it, I will reschedule for end of February.
I guess I have to remember that finishing them out is a pretty long haul endeavor.

In my mind, once they're yearlings they're on borrowed time.

CalumetFarms":1io2grfc said:
Got it, I will reschedule for end of February.
I guess I have to remember that finishing them out is a pretty long haul endeavor.

In my mind, once they're yearlings they're on borrowed time.

most cattle wouldn't be slaughtered until at least 18 months with heavy feeding.

You need to remember that most calves go to the feed yard weighing 750 to 900 lbs and are fed 150+ days until they weigh 1300 to 1400 lbs. Calf feds (calves weighing 500 to 600) going straight to the yards off the cow are typically fed well over 200 days.

You mentioned understanding BCS. You want a yearling to be in a BCS of 5 to 6 to be ready to eat.

What exactly are you feeding? We fed out a set of runty twins and they were 1200lbs at 18 months. That steer you shared with us has a long ways to go. Go to your local feed mill and tell em your finishing s steer and they'll get you a good mix.

21 months (635 days) is slow finish = 1.95 lbs day
We've finished plenty by 15-17 months of age and a few as early as 13 months, depends on how hard you push 'em
and genetics, we range 1050-1400 lbs live weight finished.

13 months = 395 days
15 months x 30 = 455 days
17 x 30 = 515
18 x 30 = 545

target 800 lb carcass in 15 months = live weight 1310 lbs - 70 lb bw = 1240 lbs div by 455 = 2.73 lbs per day

21 months = 1.95 lbs day
18 months = 2.28
17 months = 2.40
16m = 2.56
15m = 2.73
13m = 3.14

I just had 3 calves "harvested" last week. Two steers & a heifer. 12-13 months of age.
On 10-15-18 weighed on 10-16 Carcass Wt Dressing %
Z74E 1225# 782# 64%
ZC9E 1160# 720# 62%
3S3E 1140# 726# 64%
they were weaned in May and put on whole shell corn, with a little 30% protein pellets. They were up to about 15#/day last few months. By the looks of them, they should easily go Choice, YG 2
Pick up meat next week.

sstterry":1emm41ug said:
Is 800# small for an 18-month-old calf? I sent a 10-month-old to the market yesterday and he was 875# (albeit he was a bull calf).
I do not consider an 18 month old animal, a calf. They are yearlings. And, yes, if you are talking live weight, 800# is very light. The OP's yearling appears to be thin/light muscled, definitely underweight.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1c8jss9g said:
I just had 3 calves "harvested" last week. Two steers & a heifer. 12-13 months of age.
On 10-15-18 weighed on 10-16 Carcass Wt Dressing %
Z74E 1225# 782# 64%
ZC9E 1160# 720# 62%
3S3E 1140# 726# 64%
they were weaned in May and put on whole shell corn, with a little 30% protein pellets. They were up to about 15#/day last few months. By the looks of them, they should easily go Choice, YG 2
Pick up meat next week.

That sounds like good yield rates but I really don't know.

I'd be curious to know how the heifer grades vs the steers. 15# per day of feed? Where'd you start them and how'd you determine the increase? Never fed one out before and want to do a steer and a heifer this year.

Standard amount starting a calf is 1% of their body weight. You can increase every 7 days, building up to 3% of their body weight - if they will eat it.
Mine had some pasture + hay all summer. If I had a better balanced ration of grain, I should have been able to put more weight on them, but I am extremely happy with those weights and the carcasses. Talked to the butcher this evening and he was raving about their marbling and how big their muscles were.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3fqihei5 said:
Standard amount starting a calf is 1% of their body weight. You can increase every 7 days, building up to 3% of their body weight - if they will eat it.
Mine had some pasture + hay all summer. If I had a better balanced ration of grain, I should have been able to put more weight on them, but I am extremely happy with those weights and the carcasses. Talked to the butcher this evening and he was raving about their marbling and how big their muscles were.
How many days do you feed 3% of body weight?

I will start by saying I am not a nutritionist, but my husband was and I go by years of his advice/knowledge.
My calves are about 7-8 months of age when weaned. I start them out at probably less than 1% to get their system switched to a grain diet. They need about a 14% ration at that age, ending up only needing maybe 10%. Supposedly, the bugs in their system changes in 7 days, that is why it is safe to change/add to their diet every week. I build them up to full feed. Some cattle may never eat more than 2% - some lots more. My goal is to butcher (harvest) at 12-13 months old. I only feed fall born calves for meat because during the summer is the only time I have an empty lot with water to feed out any animals. During the winter, ALL lots available to maintain cattle are full.
So, back to how many days??? They really never got to 3% of just grain. That would be 30# for a 1000# animal. They maxed out at about 15# - 20# of grain. But, they were on grain from May to October - about 5 months. I think you could get cattle to eat more grain during the winter months, but they wouldn't utilize it as well, needing more maintenance requirements. Evidently, they were eating ENOUGH. A 720# to 780# carcass is the right size, and they are easily Choice, and only just past their 1st birthday.

Latest posts