WHEN will she calve? (This Morning!! 2/1/2010)

Help Support CattleToday:

Where's your time stamp on the first pictures. What is the date of the first picture you posted on this thread?

Why would you post pictures from 6 months ago with what you say are pictures of her making bag, now?

3waycross":3sbc6onn said:
Where's your time stamp on the first pictures. What is the date of the first picture you posted on this thread?

Why would you post pictures from 6 months ago with what you say are pictures of her making bag, now?

The first pic of her from today was from early 09 the day after they came off of the trailer here is a link to a ealier thread with the stamp on the picture.

http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=57706

I was using the camera for some property inspections and needed it there for the project but do not like it for personal use and since I no longer do the inspections with my personal camera no more time stamp.

Either way she is a dink never said she was not but she got me through my ag exemption and for the difference in taxes of $73.00 per acre per year I can feed them and give her a chance. Not genetics that you would want to build herd on but she might as well produce something, better to have meat in the freezer and lower taxes, than high taxes and empty freezer. Anything she does for me is a bonus as I expect nothing. My plans remain the same to sell all of the culls next year, take the money and invest into better stock.

So when you you think she will calve? :cowboy:

Me again. Not to far, about 2 hours. Hubby and I use to go to Steinhatchee to go fishing. Is your hubby a fishermen. And you like farming. That's how it's with us. How we been married for 35 years, and our hobby's are different. If it was up to him we would still be in the Keys, I was really glad when his Mom and Dad wanted to move up here. This is the closetest I'll get to country. He was really close to his Dad, so when they moved we moved too. Not that this has anything to do with your calfing. My 2 cents, sound like your doing what your heart is telling you. I myself never knew how hard it was going to be raising cattle. But, They all pitch in with their advice, and I do appreciate that alot. Otherwise, I think I would have dead cows by now. Some are harsher then others. And some are really GREAT!!!!!! Ok enough said :secret: Good luck and post pic of the new calf! :wave: Do you name your cattle?????

Mare":opv3fjrj said:
Me again. Not to far, about 2 hours. Hubby and I use to go to Steinhatchee to go fishing. Is your hubby a fishermen. And you like farming. That's how it's with us. How we been married for 35 years, and our hobby's are different. If it was up to him we would still be in the Keys, I was really glad when his Mom and Dad wanted to move up here. This is the closetest I'll get to country. He was really close to his Dad, so when they moved we moved too. Not that this has anything to do with your calfing. My 2 cents, sound like your doing what your heart is telling you. I myself never knew how hard it was going to be raising cattle. But, They all pitch in with their advice, and I do appreciate that alot. Otherwise, I think I would have dead cows by now. Some are harsher then others. And some are really GREAT!!!!!! Ok enough said :secret: Good luck and post pic of the new calf! :wave: Do you name your cattle?????

Well I am the hubby and like to fish also ( I am a USCG licensed Capt. as a hobby as well ) and have wanted to start my own small farm since my family sold out years ago. I was born on a farm and am now getting back to it. We bought the land a few years ago and built our home last year. I am lucky she enjoys it as well, she has her horses and I have my cows. I don't name them but it does not mean that they don't have names ;-) . I just don't use them she does.

WindyHillFarm":wpvos61w said:
3waycross":wpvos61w said:

The first pic of her from today was from early 09 the day after they came off of the trailer here is a link to a ealier thread with the stamp on the picture.

http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=57706

I was using the camera for some property inspections and needed it there for the project but do not like it for personal use and since I no longer do the inspections with my personal camera no more time stamp.

Either way she is a dink never said she was not but she got me through my ag exemption and for the difference in taxes of $73.00 per acre per year I can feed them and give her a chance. Not genetics that you would want to build herd on but she might as well produce something, better to have meat in the freezer and lower taxes, than high taxes and empty freezer. Anything she does for me is a bonus as I expect nothing. My plans remain the same to sell all of the culls next year, take the money and invest into better stock.

So when you you think she will calve? :cowboy:

Like I said in the first post. Watch her front teats. When they stick straight out she is within 24 to 36 hours. That's all I can tell you that I "know" to be true. Everything else is just guessing.

Ok Sorry, LOL I thought it was the wife writing, Using Windy I thought girl. Well I'm glad to hear that you both enjoy it. My hubby doesn't like country at all. I just like boat rides. The fishing is not for me. Even though, We lived in the Keys for 8 years, the kids all like driving and fishing. And I was raised in the city, Don't know where the country came from. We meet in Hollywood, Fl. And we vaction all the time around water with fishing all the time. Our middle son Chris has a Capt. lic. too. He just got it about 2 month ago. He does charter's with our Go-Devil boat. Where Dealers for them. My hubby does marine eng. repairs. Started out as a family bussiness, Father, son and son. Father pass away, And then this slow down hit us. Chris had to go find work elsewhere. Did the Capt. thing and also Went to the lawenforcement class. Now he's working for Citrus County Sheriff Dept. If hubby finishes his law this Dec. 2010 It would be 3 generation in the dept. Hubby is at UCF finishing what he started 35 years ago. Well , again good luck with your farming, Sound to me you and your wife are going to have a great farm!!!!!!! the pic's of the herifers, bull and land look great to me! OH is that your boat in the small box.

3waycross, I'll have to put that in my notes of information. Never heard of that one. That seems easy enough to look out for. And it is nine month right. Right now I'm just looking for a round belly. Don't you just love the wannabe's. But I do really want to learn. And with only me in this, I take any information I can read on. Pic's do help alot more then words sometimes. I just finish print the information on judging, that Chippie talked about. I love that this holds alot of old information, that you can come across if you just keep looking.

Take a pic of her from behind and post it-a good pointer to look at is her sides.
When she has 'dropped' you can start getting ready to catch a calf.Have you noticed any discharge yet?

That's part of the love and hate relationship with calving, the guessing game. It's hard to say how long before she calves, every year it seems that I watch a cow knowing she is going to calve any second, I wake up one morning to find a calf in the pasture, only to find out it's from a cow I didn't think was close to calving.... and the one I'm watching bakes the calf for another three weeks.

3way, while I agree that the heifer is not "over fat", I don't think she is in too bad of shape for a heifer. She could use 50 to 100 lbs, but her BCS isn't that bad. I'm making this statement from the fact you can see ribs in look of hip bone in the first pic.

Windy, she should do fine in my opinion, but she is a heifer and still growing and now supporting a calf, I would try to give her plenty of feed and after she calves good supplements (protein) to help with the milk production and to get her back into shape to settle while nursing calf. Good luck with the calves.

JMO,
Alan

Alan":dogdp37f said:
That's part of the love and hate relationship with calving, the guessing game. It's hard to say how long before she calves, every year it seems that I watch a cow knowing she is going to calve any second, I wake up one morning to find a calf in the pasture, only to find out it's from a cow I didn't think was close to calving.... and the one I'm watching bakes the calf for another three weeks.

3way, while I agree that the heifer is not "over fat", I don't think she is in too bad of shape for a heifer. She could use 50 to 100 lbs, but her BCS isn't that bad. I'm making this statement from the fact you can see ribs in look of hip bone in the first pic.

Windy, she should do fine in my opinion, but she is a heifer and still growing and now supporting a calf, I would try to give her plenty of feed and after she calves good supplements (protein) to help with the milk production and to get her back into shape to settle while nursing calf. Good luck with the calves.

JMO,
Alan

The pictures she posted were all out of sequence. The first pic on the first post is months old. The last post shows what she looked like before she started bagging up as near as I can tell and she is plenty fat in those pics.

alisonb":ia3rvaba said:
Take a pic of her from behind and post it-a good pointer to look at is her sides.
When she has 'dropped' you can start getting ready to catch a calf.Have you noticed any discharge yet?

Sorry for the quality of the pic but she was not in the mood for a photo shoot last night.

DSCI0089.jpg

As far as I can see from pic calf has not yet 'dropped' into position,will be interesting to see a pic in two weeks time. Look at particularly the right side of cow-side won't bulge at top/middle but will come almost straight down until near bottom of side where bulging will occur.
More signs to look for-strutting teats(as others have mentioned), relaxation of pelvic ligaments between the tailhead and pin bones causing a 'sunken' appearance and discharge of mucous from vulva.
All guess work but it looks to me like you can expect some action around the end of January/early Feb. :?:

Windy-Has number 10 still got you guessing? That bag could fill overnight.....or it could take another two weeks........! :lol:

alisonb":2w5nftcp said:
Windy-Has number 10 still got you guessing? That bag could fill overnight.....or it could take another two weeks........! :lol:

Yes # 10 still has me guessing but this I did not expect this one to calve for a few more days. You never know when it is time it is time.

DSCI0210.jpg

DSCI0211.jpg

DSCI0209.jpg

DSCI0208.jpg

DSCI0212.jpg

alisonb":3gmcs5ub said:
Wow, that calf looks tiny-did it drink?

That was when he was born this morning, got his first drink within 2-3 hrs and been at it pretty steady every 30 minutes or so.

These are at about six hrs old

DSCI0213.jpg

DSCI0215.jpg

DSCI0216.jpg

DSCI0217.jpg

DSCI0219.jpg

DSCI0221.jpg

off they go

DSCI0222.jpg

Windyhillfarm, That is great for the one that had it. I've been with out a comp. I'm hoping I'll get one back next Saturday. :clap: Congrats on the new calf. They both look very happy. I still have till May or June if she's pregant. So did #10 have her calf yet. I can't send any pic's of our cows because of the comp. Well I better go feed the funny farm. I just borrowed hubby's lap top to see if I had any e-mail and I did. Thank you for replying. And I loved the pic's. Talk to ya later. If the shop is slow I'll try to get on at that comp. Mare

Latest posts