WHEN will she calve? (This Morning!! 2/1/2010)

Help Support CattleToday:

WindyHillFarm

Reaction score
This heifer was out will the bull this spring so not sure when she was bred she has recently started to look sloppy and is showing some sign. She is getting free choice to the hay, mineral, and some feed also still have some grass in the pastures. When do you think it will be?

DSCI0043.jpg

DSCI0040-1.jpg

DSCI0028-1.jpg

DSCI0029-1.jpg

DSCI0032.jpg

DSCI0033-2.jpg

I can't answer the question. But I would like to know what bred they are. The light one looks like my Sara-lu. I've had herifers for only 2 years and still learning. The grandkids show them in the fair. We live in Citrus county. (Inverness) Hope all goes well for you. :cboy: Don't forget to post pic of the new calf. :nod:

I have a Black Angus cow that calved two weeks ago and still looks like she is carrying twins.
Tom.

She really doesn't show any signs of being "real close" but some cows don't. Just going by looks I'd say she's several weeks off.

Well, there are some scientific factors that are skewing the data. The main one being that you live in Florida. You see, in Florida, there are no blizzards. It is a proven scientific fact here in the north that the heifers will calf during a blizzard..........Nostradamus couldn't predict when this one will calf.

She "looks" several weeks away to me..... at least 3-4 weeks.

Heifers can sometimes be different, but many times cows will have a snotty discharge 6 weeks before calving, then 3 weeks before calving, then 3 days before calving...... but like the hubby said this evening, we have a heifer who has had a discharge for the last 3 days (she already had the 6 week and 3 week discharge) so this heifer isn't typical either. We have changing weather forecasted for tomorrow night so I imagine we'll see a baby within the next 48 hours.

She's gonna calve the day after her front teats stick straight out to the side. In the mean time give the poor sonofagun some feed.

You should be ashamed to post a picture of a 2yr old about to calve heifer with her last 3 or 4 ribs sticking out.

I can see her looking like that AFTER 4 or 5 months of milking real heavy with no groceries to eat but not BEFORE she calves

3waycross":2djkh6lw said:
She's gonna calve the day after her front teats stick straight out to the side. In the mean time give the poor sonofagun some feed.

You should be ashamed to post a picture of a 2yr old about to calve heifer with her last 3 or 4 ribs sticking out.

I can see her looking like that AFTER 4 or 5 months of milking real heavy with no groceries to eat but not BEFORE she calves

My thoughts exactly about the poor BCS she is in, she will lose ground when she calves so you surely do not want them skinny before . You do not want them fat, but she is a skeleton.

MO_cows":fmurzyqy said:
The OP said she has free choice hay, mineral, still some pasture left and some unspecified "feed". So maybe she needs wormed?

MO, she sure needs something .... I say get a vet and a nutritionist involved asap ..

3waycross":3k5t8ai8 said:

Thanks for to all for your replies and to make sure we stay on track here I want to put your mind at ease that they were wormed this last weekend, they are 7 cows on 40 acres (my area is 1 per) they get plenty of feed and are not neglected. As you can see in the pictures no others have any BCS issues. One on my reasons for posting is to get information that you all have provided and I thank you for that. Her condition declined slightly to where she is now and has gotten sloppy and soft over several days. I watch my cows eat every day and check on them. I gave it to the fact that the calf is pulling it out of her. I feed her in a pen to ensure she gets her share. The pic with ribs was simply to show her side that prior to her bulgeing no ribs have shown. If anything most tell me to be careful to not over condition my cows.

If you would like to see some other pictures visit our website http://www.windyhillfarmllc.com

I will keep you posted put me down for 2-3 weeks on this one.

I agree on about 3 weeks for her to calve - and she looks in fine condition to calve successfully on her own, not overfat. Good luck!

jilleroo":2zij9bmc said:
I agree on about 3 weeks for her to calve - and she looks in fine condition to calve successfully on her own, not overfat. Good luck!

NOT OVERFAT. come on Jilleroo. Did you really look at that first picture. Compare her one feature at a time with any accepted BCS scoring chart and see if you really believe the term "not overly fat" applies. One thing's for sure the calf won't be too big but i'd like to know what if any reserves does this heifer have to make milk with.

I have some questions.

Is this a registered Angus as you say?

Is there a seedstock angus producer on this forum who would want a heifer to look like this 2 or 3 weeks pre-partum?

I am not saying any of this to hurt this persons feelings. But to say she looks Good is just not right.

I have had heifers look like this a week or two post-partum but never pre. The other difference is they were living in 0 degree weather and licking snow for water and fending for themselves for grass with a little hay to help them out. Not living in Florida with green grass, free choice hay amd minerals.

This goes back to the question that was posted on a previous thread about how old should a heifer be before she is bred or at what size. Heifers bred early sometimes take on a growing spurt much like a teenager, and become long and lanky, during pregnancy, the added drain of a calf can really pull one down no matter how good of feed you have them on.

Windyhillfarm, Where in levy county???? And that is what I have. Sara-lu is Charlois/Angus. That's why she looks like her. Cool. Good luck on calfing. And post pic's when you get a chance after it's Born. I only have 2 on 5 acres. Reba is Beefmaster/Hereford. Their just pets. But I bred them to a Black Angus. I'm still waiting to see if their pregant. At Cattle Camp, I'm hopeing that Dora will be there to check if they are.

3waycross":3mmfmxi6 said:
jilleroo":3mmfmxi6 said:

NOT OVERFAT. come on Jilleroo. Did you really look at that first picture. Compare her one feature at a time with any accepted BCS scoring chart and see if you really believe the term "not overly fat" applies. One thing's for sure the calf won't be too big but i'd like to know what if any reserves does this heifer have to make milk with.

I have some questions.

Is this a registered Angus as you say?

Is there a seedstock angus producer on this forum who would want a heifer to look like this 2 or 3 weeks pre-partum?

I am not saying any of this to hurt this persons feelings. But to say she looks Good is just not right.

I have had heifers look like this a week or two post-partum but never pre. The other difference is they were living in 0 degree weather and licking snow for water and fending for themselves for grass with a little hay to help them out. Not living in Florida with green grass, free choice hay amd minerals.

No she is not registered nor is she anything special she came in a package deal and I figure since I have room I will give her a chance. A picture can make something look good or really bad. No doubt I saved her from starving when I got them. I will post a pic of them from when I got them when I get to town as my camera is not here at the farm. And I agree that I would not want seed stock or stockers to look this way but, she is what she is, and I do not expect much from her.

Mare":gqfe2r58 said:
Windyhillfarm, Where in levy county???? And that is what I have. Sara-lu is Charlois/Angus. That's why she looks like her. Cool. Good luck on calfing. And post pic's when you get a chance after it's Born. I only have 2 on 5 acres. Reba is Beefmaster/Hereford. Their just pets. But I bred them to a Black Angus. I'm still waiting to see if their pregant. At Cattle Camp, I'm hopeing that Dora will be there to check if they are.

I am just south of Chiefland near the Suwannee River

Latest posts