When to wean bottle calf...

Help Support CattleToday:

Wisteria Farms

Reaction score
Can you experienced cowpokes offer some advice? I took in a bottle calf at 1 week and started feeding Purina milk replacer (2 bottles/day... 1 in am. and 1 in pm) At round 6 weeks old I reduced his bottles to 1/day and introduced Startena. He's eating the startena and small amounts of hay very well. He's now 8 weeks old so I stopped the milk replacer. We took him to the county fair and was told by friends they fed their bottle babies for 21 weeks. I defended myself by saying I was trying to follow the directions on the bag of milk replacer (which actually said to start weaing at 4 weeks.... I just read it a little late!). I thought I was doing a fine job with this little guy. Do I ignore the bag and keep feeding milk replacer? Thanks!

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":3q3st6dq said:
You sure it said to wean at 4 weeks or 4 months? Four weeks seems a bit early to me.

Yes, because the feeding program on the back of the bag starts out in terms of weeks. Then it goes to months.
It says to start weaning at 4 weeks providing the calf is eating 2lbs of Startena/day. By 8 weeks the calf is strictly on Startena free choice. Wish I could scan the bag so all could see... thanks for your input.

You need to always have grain available to him, so he can eat if he wants it. Depending on how well he is doing reduce his milk to one bottle a day ONLY when he is eating 1.5lbs of grain a day. When he is eating 2-3lbs of grain a day, stop the milk replacer.

EDIT: Theres no way a calf is going to get weaned at 4 weeks old. You might have read it wrong.

Mongoose":hn02os76 said:
You need to always have grain available to him, so he can eat if he wants it. Depending on how well he is doing reduce his milk to one bottle a day ONLY when he is eating 1.5lbs of grain a day. When he is eating 2-3lbs of grain a day, stop the milk replacer.

EDIT: Theres no way a calf is going to get weaned at 4 weeks old. You might have read it wrong.

He is getting Startena free choice (his pan always has fresh food) and yes, he is eating 2-3lbs/day. I have read, re-read and read again the back of the Purina Milk Replacer bag... it says begin weaning at 4 weeks. Anyone else with a bag, back me up here.... I'm not trying to compromize this calf's health...but everyone is acting like I'm crazy for weaning at 8 weeks when PURINA says begin at 4!! I have the bag in front of me...I haven't misunderstood the directions.

I have a bag of Purina Milk Replacer in the cupboard, and it does indeed say to start weaning at 4 weeks of age. I just ignored that little tidbit - right along with the amount they recommended to feed - because bottle calves are not 'one size fits all'.

Wisteria Farms - my bottle calves were usually weaned right around 3 months of age (unless there was a valid reason to extend it), and they most generally received 2 gallons of milk replacer per day until they were readily eating a couple of lbs of grain day. Grain(I prefer C.O.B. to Startena - cheaper, they tend to eat it better, nutrition is comparable, and they didn't like the pellets in Startena - so they were always going to waste) was introduced at about a week old, as was hay. Fresh water and mineral was always available.

msscamp":1zl5notr said:
I have a bag of Purina Milk Replacer in the cupboard, and it does indeed say to start weaning at 4 weeks of age. I just ignored that little tidbit - right along with the amount they recommended to feed - because bottle calves are not 'one size fits all'.

Wisteria Farms - my bottle calves were usually weaned right around 3 months of age (unless there was a valid reason to extend it), and they most generally received 2 gallons of milk replacer per day until they were readily eating a couple of lbs of grain day. Grain(I prefer C.O.B. to Startena - cheaper, they tend to eat it better, nutrition is comparable, and they didn't like the pellets in Startena - so they were always going to waste) was introduced at about a week old, as was hay. Fresh water and mineral was always available.

THANK YOU... and for your post on the Murray Greys. I agree that the amount the calf receives should be judged on a per calf basis... however, our little guy has taken very well with the Startena. Out of curiosity, what is C.O.B.? It seems there are a LOT of differing opinions on this subject...thanks so much.

Wisteria Farms":2yrig34v said:
msscamp":2yrig34v said:

THANK YOU... and for your post on the Murray Greys. I agree that the amount the calf receives should be judged on a per calf basis... however, our little guy has taken very well with the Startena. Out of curiosity, what is C.O.B.? It seems there are a LOT of differing opinions on this subject...thanks so much.

No problem, and you're right about the varying opinions! :lol: :lol: C.O.B. is corn, oats, and barley that is rolled (flattened), and mixed with molasses. It has a protein content of apprx 15%, maybe higher, and calves do very well on it.

I usualy wean at 8 weeks or so as long as they are eating enough grain and hay , we usualy averaage about a bag of milk replacer per calf.

Every calf is different. I put feed in front of them on day one. Some have been weaned after 1-50 lb. bag some it took 3. When the calf starts eating pretty good I cut the milk to one time a day.
When the calf consumes enough nutrition from feed it is time to wean. I don,t give a hoot about grass belly, they grow out of it. I care about a healthy calf that I can still come out on.

I learned a long time ago, calves or cows can,t read.

novatech":3iwfl023 said:
Every calf is different. I put feed in front of them on day one. Some have been weaned after 1-50 lb. bag some it took 3. When the calf starts eating pretty good I cut the milk to one time a day.
When the calf consumes enough nutrition from feed it is time to wean. I don,t give a hoot about grass belly, they grow out of it. I care about a healthy calf that I can still come out on.

No, calves can't read but I can... and from what I've read Purina puts extensive research into their programs... I was only wondering when the rest of the community weans in relation to what Purina says. From what I've read, its just as important to get the rumen going (with hay) early on. My little guy is filled out nicely and chews his cud like the rest of them so I've never been concerned that he's lacking anything. He was shown at the county fair last week and if only I had boys would say he was a real "chick magnet". All three of my girls had a blast walking him around the fairgrounds. Thanks!

Wisteria Farms":1wclmhc4 said:
novatech":1wclmhc4 said:

No, calves can't read but I can... and from what I've read Purina puts extensive research into their programs... I was only wondering when the rest of the community weans in relation to what Purina says. From what I've read, its just as important to get the rumen going (with hay) early on. My little guy is filled out nicely and chews his cud like the rest of them so I've never been concerned that he's lacking anything. He was shown at the county fair last week and if only I had boys would say he was a real "chick magnet". All three of my girls had a blast walking him around the fairgrounds. Thanks!
You asked for advice.
Can you experienced cowpokes offer some advice?
I gave you advice based upon my experiance.
If your goal is to have a chick magnet, spend all the money you want. Sounds good to me. :D
If your goal is to make money, put a pencil to it, and let me know how much name brand you can afford.
The instructions on a bag of milk are a generalization, probably for a mid size calf. They would not be for a very small or a very fast growing calf. Therefore one must give the calf what is necessary for good nutrition either way.
It does sound like you have aready made up your mind, so do you really want our advice?

novatech":21bo2kh7 said:

Their you go again, you Texicans neglecting your animals and not giving them a basic education.

Up here in the Great State of Oklahoma, our horses can count and do math, and our cows can tell what time of day it is just by the sun.

novatech":3sbfh6av said:
Wisteria Farms":3sbfh6av said:
novatech":3sbfh6av said:

You asked for advice.
Can you experienced cowpokes offer some advice?
I gave you advice based upon my experiance.
If your goal is to have a chick magnet, spend all the money you want. Sounds good to me. :D
If your goal is to make money, put a pencil to it, and let me know how much name brand you can afford.
The instructions on a bag of milk are a generalization, probably for a mid size calf. They would not be for a very small or a very fast growing calf. Therefore one must give the calf what is necessary for good nutrition either way.
It does sound like you have aready made up your mind, so do you really want our advice?

I'll take advice all day long from well-meaning people. I have not made up my mind or I wouldn't have asked what everyone else does... as in I was confused in what I was being TOLD as opposed to what I read on the bag. My goal is not to have a chick magnet... I AM A CHICK! I was only stating how pleasantly suprised I was that there was such interest in our little bull-calf... my girls enjoyed talking to people about him. It seems there a lot of people in these Q&A forums who instead of wanting to help people, get some sort of ego boost by being sarcastic. What do you mean to put a pencil to it and let you know how much "name brand" I can afford?

What do you mean to put a pencil to it and let you know how much "name brand" I can afford?

Add up what it really cost to feed a bottle calf. If your are buying Purina it is probably the most expensive on the market. I admit they have invested in a lot of research, and they have a very good product. But there are also very good alternatives as you may see by products listed by others. I want my calves on feed ASAP as it is way to expensive to feed milk replacer and still make a profit in the end. When takeing off the bottle You must still make sure that the calf still receives the proper amount of nutrients required for good growth. If you continue to feed all the milk that the calf would like to have you might as well have bought an older calf.

Putting a pencil to it would go something like this;
Cost of calf $100
Cost of milk replacer 2 bags @ $65 = $130
Time value $ ?
Feed cost
Hay cost
Value of calf @ weight
Cost of same weight calf if purchased @ same weight

If people did not give calves to me I would not do it at all unless I had a nurse cow.
I would spend the money if it was a calf that was economicaly justifiable. (regestered and geneticly desireable)

The only ego boost I get is when I actually help someone.

Sorry about the chic thing. :oops: My mistake.

novatech":1wwjx2q8 said:
What do you mean to put a pencil to it and let you know how much "name brand" I can afford?

Add up what it really cost to feed a bottle calf. If your are buying Purina it is probably the most expensive on the market. I admit they have invested in a lot of research, and they have a very good product. But there are also very good alternatives as you may see by products listed by others. I want my calves on feed ASAP as it is way to expensive to feed milk replacer and still make a profit in the end. When takeing off the bottle You must still make sure that the calf still receives the proper amount of nutrients required for good growth. If you continue to feed all the milk that the calf would like to have you might as well have bought an older calf.

Putting a pencil to it would go something like this;
Cost of calf $100
Cost of milk replacer 2 bags @ $65 = $130
Time value $ ?
Feed cost
Hay cost
Value of calf @ weight
Cost of same weight calf if purchased @ same weight

If people did not give calves to me I would not do it at all unless I had a nurse cow.
I would spend the money if it was a calf that was economicaly justifiable. (regestered and geneticly desireable)

The only ego boost I get is when I actually help someone.

Sorry about the chic thing. :oops: My mistake.

THANK YOU... thats some sound advice I'LL TAKE!! Please know, as I stated in another post, we own a construction company... while I don't want to insult those trying to make a living at this.... it is simply a HUGE stress reliever for my husband and me. I am a newbie and while I can afford to make some mistakes, I would like to turn this into a profitable/enjoyable side business. I only went Purina because I didn't know any better. Msscamp told me about C.O.B and I may just try it. Thanks again... no apology needed.