When to sell?

Help Support CattleToday:

TXMike

Reaction score
I am wondering when to haul my first batch of calves to the sale. I have 2 steer calves and 1 heifer calf born at the end of may - beginning of june. When is the best time to haul them to the sale? I don't want to wait to late in the year and have the prices drop significantly but I also don't want to hold on to them till the spring. I thought about just putting them for sale on Craigslist for $1000 at the end of September and seeing what happens. Is that unrealistic?
I also have a crazy cow thar never dropped a calf do I went out there last week and now she's all bagged up... I don't know what to do with her because she'll flat footed jump a 6' fence but I'm thinking maybe once she has her calf I'll be able to get her in the pen and sell her as a pair.

I honestly dont think the prices are going to drop significantly. I would probably sell them around December timeframe because around here prices typically seem to go up at that time. Its up to you though.
Try the craigslist deal, see if you get any takers........ And I think thats a good idea on the cow & calf pair.

TXMike said:
I am wondering when to haul my first batch of calves to the sale. I have 2 steer calves and 1 heifer calf born at the end of may - beginning of june. When is the best time to haul them to the sale? I don't want to wait to late in the year and have the prices drop significantly but I also don't want to hold on to them till the spring. I thought about just putting them for sale on Craigslist for $1000 at the end of September and seeing what happens. Is that unrealistic?
I also have a crazy cow thar never dropped a calf do I went out there last week and now she's all bagged up... I don't know what to do with her because she'll flat footed jump a 6' fence but I'm thinking maybe once she has her calf I'll be able to get her in the pen and sell her as a pair.[/quote]

I bet the next poor jerk that owns her will sure say a prayer for you every night...............or will you be that mythical sale barn seller who proclaims in a loud voice this is one crazy SOB, but I am only selling her cuz I have 3 full sisters in the herd already :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Haha I'm only selling her because she's a bad influence on the rest of my cows. I think she's part whitetail.... she'll make a great hamburger though....

TXMike":3e4hszd6 said:
Haha I'm only selling her because she's a bad influence on the rest of my cows. I think she's part whitetail.... she'll make a great hamburger though....

Hey don't sweat it. I have a couple of Elkvieh in my herd.

TXMike":zuo4b60k said:
And her calf will probably be the same way. If momma struts around with head up and flighty as heck, her calf will likely be the same.
Sometime I feel like the easiest way to catch one of those is with with a 7.62 or .270 round..

bigbull338":1ag4p8sj said:
send that cow to the sale.youll come home with a nice chunk of change.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I don't think there's any reason to announce at the sale she's crazy either. As soon as they see her they'll know. I was thinking about hitting her with a tranquilizer dart before I took her to calm her down but I'd feel to bad for the guy that ended up with her once it wore off....

TXMike":222zte1y said:
bigbull338":222zte1y said:
send that cow to the sale.youll come home with a nice chunk of change.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I don't think there's any reason to announce at the sale she's crazy either. As soon as they see her they'll know. I was thinking about hitting her with a tranquilizer dart before I took her to calm her down but I'd feel to bad for the guy that ended up with her once it wore off....

Bigbull wouldn't he would laugh all the way to the bank...............and you know I am right there big fella.

Latest posts