When to remove heifer calves from bull(s)

Help Support CattleToday:

GaryDG

Reaction score
At what age should a heifer calve be separated from a bull?

Our strategy is to keep heifers from breeding until they are at least a year old. Our cows have recently had (2-3 months ago) heifer calves. We want to breed our cows again and the calves are with them. Should we be concerned with the bull with these young heifer calves? We plan to pull the bull to his own area in about 3 months. At that point some of the heifer calves would be 6 months old.

GaryDG":2gt2ueoq said:
At what age should a heifer calve be separated from a bull?

Our strategy is to keep heifers from breeding until they are at least a year old. Our cows have recently had (2-3 months ago) heifer calves. We want to breed our cows again and the calves are with them. Should we be concerned with the bull with these young heifer calves? We plan to pull the bull to his own area in about 3 months. At that point some of the heifer calves would be 6 months old.

Yes, you should be concerned. Depending on the individual calf, 6 months old is plenty old enough to be cycling and she can get bred. We've had heifer calves cycle as early as 3 or 4 months and they subsequently delivered at a year old or pretty darn close to it, but it is the exception rather than the rule. Watch for heifers that are growing very well - the better the growth rate, the earlier they are going to mature, and the sooner they will start cycling. Just my thoughts.

This is a double edged sword deal. You have to get the cows bred but don;t want the early puberty heifer calves bred. Run the bull with them when you pull the bull give all of the heifer calves a shot of lute.

dun

I'll agree with dun on the lute shot but I don't think it will come to that. If you are running a mature bull he wieghs somewhere from 1500-2300lbs probally. If he mounts a 400 lb hiefer you will know it before time to pull the bull out won't you. that hiefer will be rode down. I just don't see any way he could make a connection if you know what I mean. St. Bernards would have a hard time breeding chihuahas?
Just my opinion, I always breed with 2-5 month old calves in the pasture and haven't had any trouble.
Having said this, I will contradict myself and say if it can happen, it will happen.

We put our cows w/calf at side in with bull about ~1 month after calving. We watch the heifer calves closely. If things don't look right, we put mama and calf in a separate area. Heifers are always put with other heifers at weaning and kept there (generally) until breeding age at about 14 months. Haven't had any problems with this method.

Mature bulls can and will "get connected" (breed) sucking heifers. Happens all the time - not the norm - but does definately happen.
Obviously, you are wanting your calving season a little later next year than it was this year since you are holding off putting your bull in when the calves are 3 months old. Most cows would have been bred by than.
Like Dun said, just Lutalyse your heifers (especially the bigger ones) after you pull the bull out. Be sure to wait at least 1 week after you pull the bull. Lut won't work for the first 7 days after breeding (approximately - you would need to check the label)

Don't forget dexamethasone, it's cheap and it's used to bring cattle in labour and will abort calves immediately.

dun":3rbbk63a said:
This is a double edged sword deal. You have to get the cows bred but don;t want the early puberty heifer calves bred. Run the bull with them when you pull the bull give all of the heifer calves a shot of lute.

dun

Hello Dun

Just wondering, any side effects of the Lutelyse (or however you spell it) that we should be aware of?

Thanks

Dub

DoubleK":3r1set0g said:
dun":3r1set0g said:

dun

Hello Dun

Just wondering, any side effects of the Lutelyse (or however you spell it) that we should be aware of?

Thanks

The only side affect is that they'll come into heat. But tht's the object in giving the lute in the first place

dun

Dub

dun":3q92v0vk said:
DoubleK":3q92v0vk said:
dun":3q92v0vk said:

dun

Hello Dun

Thanks

The only side affect is that they'll come into heat. But tht's the object in giving the lute in the first place

dun
Dub

Thanks Dun but what if they are bred, then what happens? Do they abort and continue on a regular cycle then?

Dub

Bought six hereford heifers last nov. 450 to 500 lbs. The owner said he took the bull out early aug. I should have gave them Lutelyse when I vac them right off the trailer. Five have either already calved or are going to soon. The other one has never been in heat, probably never will. What a mess! They will never amount to anything! I know better!

rkm":adr4tmmb said:
Bought six hereford heifers last nov. 450 to 500 lbs. The owner said he took the bull out early aug. I should have gave them Lutelyse when I vac them right off the trailer. Five have either already calved or are going to soon. The other one has never been in heat, probably never will. What a mess! They will never amount to anything! I know better!
Sorry to hear that. Next time, buy from a "reliable" breeder. And, yes, lutalyse them 1 week after arrival!
Are the calves living? and does the heifer have enough milk? The heifers should still make a "cow", but they will most likely be stunted as far as their size goes. If the calves are alive & sucking, I would wean them off the momma very early and I would suppliment the dams now. They will definately need help to maintain condition (or get it back) if you want to get them bred again.

Latest posts