When to pull a twin?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Got an old cow, that just about always has twins. She's in labor now (hoping it's just one). I usually leave em both on her, till one gets about 10 weeks old. She just don't have the milk for two this year. When should I pull it, to raise it on a bottle? She's been a good one, but I guess I'll sell her due to age in the spring. She still gets fat, but her milk production has dropped way off.

After it's had some colostrum. Isolate it and get it started on a bottle. Good luck. I strongly dislike twins.

bball said:
After it's had some colostrum. Isolate it and get it started on a bottle. Good luck. I strongly dislike twins.

I had 72 hours in mind.

Bigfoot said:
bball said:

I had 72 hours in mind.

Prolly work just fine. I have found its easier to get them started on a bottle when they have had less time on mothers teat. After 24 hrs, calf doesn't benefit from the immunity perks of colostum too much

About as soon as it's licked off after birth. I'd milk enough colostrum from the cow or if she's short mix up a bag of colostrum and get it in the calf right away and carry on.

Where are you at? I buy those kinds of calves. I prefer them 24 hours old. I raised many on a bottle but now I have nurse cows.

Latest posts