When to kill?

Help Support CattleToday:

A&Mfarms

Reaction score
I have never fed one of our calves to put in the freezer. The calf I'm considering weighs about 650#. How big should I let him get? What should I feed him? Is it ok to graze or should I have him on hay and some other feed. Right now he's out in the herd, but I might seperate him this weekend. Thanks for the help.

The weight is really up to you. I like to slaughter mine at about 800-1000 lbs.

I put them up for the last 6 to 8 wks. and feed cracked corn, along with lots of water. This gets rid of grass and any other, like wild onion that they have in their system. Hope this helps.

Cutting him will keep him calmer and easier to handle. We use the calcerate bander at 500lbs+ for all our steers without a problem, just make sure to do the tetnis toxoid shot. I don't think he'll grow any faster if he is cut or not, but he will marble better, being cut.

SimmAngus":1m40fpoj said:
Cutting him will keep him calmer and easier to handle.
And a lot deader if you or whoever is doing the cutting don't know how to go about it. So get someione very experienced. Preferably your Vet

I've never cut a bull and don't plan to start with him so I will load him this weekend. TO THE VET WE GO

Think its personal preference on how long to grow um.

I bring mine right up to 1400lbs or so before I send them.

Got 765lbs of packaged beef from the one I just had done couple weeks ago.

Nicely marbled, tender, and juicy.

[/quote]And a lot deader if you or whoever is doing the cutting don't know how to go about it. So get someione very experienced. Preferably your Vet[/quote]

Sorry... you're right LA, I should have included that comment. I would not advise anyone without experience to try cutting a bull.

]Cut him! Grow out faster and meat will taste better. ;-)[/quote said:
1) They are ready to butcher when they have the (fat) finish you want. I have butchered light "veal" animals and the flavor is just not there unless you are great with the sauces.
2) Bulls grow faster than steers unless you implant the steers.
3) Young bulls taste fine as long as they have some marbling.
4) Cutting is pretty hard on a animal that size. You will reduce their rate of gain for a couple months. If you NEED to steer him - - crushing the cords, or banding & then cutting a week later are both lower risk options.

How big you grow him depends on the breed and his own genetics. You don't want to take him to slaughter before he is finished. You want to take him in soon after he starts showing a little fat.

Also, I've slaughtered bulls (purebred Angus) for the past several years, and prefer it to steers. It is a little leaner and still plenty tender.

Agree with Stocker....we just processed a 22 month old red angus bull that just didn't have the genetics to to be passed along. He was handled daily, gentle as they come and had a remarkable anount of fat. He hung at 755# and there was no noticable difference in the quality of the meat.
We normally do not process bulls but he was an exception, worth more on the rail than he would have been in the sale ring.
DMc

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":v7ljnscn said:
Not sure why you would feed a heifer calf out unless she was just crap to begin with(cull) and not a good performer or if she was sick or something

Not all heifers should be bred, I myself prefer to feed out heifers than steers. Doesn't have to be "just crap", it could be "just not good enough to breed"
1. At purchase heifers are usually cheaper
2. At fat heifers/steers will tend to bring the same price
3. At fat you usually won't get docked with heifers because they tend to be under that "too large to fit the pink styrofoam" size.
4. Personal preference for handling heifers to steers.

And for the thread question, I believe the animal being fed out will let you know when it is ready.
Solid filled brisket area
Back fat reasonable
Between the legs filled
They really tend to "square up" when they are at finished.

But it really depends on personal preference if it is being sold to your customers for the freezer, or if they are going to the sale or contract.

Me personally, I prefer shy of when they are ready for the sale, before they have put on the layering of fat....to me that seems like the last to "get done"

Latest posts