When to cut sudangrass hay

Help Support CattleToday:

Edreeh

Reaction score
This is my first time growing sudangrass for hay how tall should I let it get before I cut it and at what height should I cut it at to get another cutting.im here in sanantonio Texas .i usually make coastal hay and bumada grass.

Any planted hay needs to be cut when it is booting out (when seed head starts to emerge)
Almost impossible to do unless you own your baling equipment, because 99.9 per cent of commercial balers will tell you it will be 2 to 3 weeks before he can get to it. Then you have to start calling and bugging him every few days to remind him.

Thanks for the info I have a conditioner cutter so what I get is around 5 ft tall .lm tall so my navel is pretty well up there thanks .

I put up some every year. I "try" to cut it, before it makes seed heads. The stem will be softer, and they'll come more near eating everything you put up. I seem to get more cuttings doing it that way to. Never seen an animal that could resist eating it. I like to square bale mine, and use it on calves that I've bought, and are settling down. Feed em nothing but that for 3 days, and then add a little feed to the equation.

Latest posts