When do you think they will calve?

Help Support CattleToday:

j&lfarms

Reaction score
I've got 3 heifers due to calve in the next month. They are all bred. I had a bull with them from March 9th to April 20th. Which would mean they should calve between December 16th and January 27 give or take a week or so. Two of them are springing and have been for a week or so. The other still has not began springing. Their teets have have changed from little nubs to visible teets, but nothing has dropped yet. They are Angus heifers bred to a black Salers bull. Any body have any guesses to how long it will take them to calve. With Angus is it more common for heifers to calve early or later? Also does anyone have any tips for calving in the time period I will be in? Thanks!

Late December or early January on the 2, then about then end of your range on the other, of course I have no way of really knowing, my own cattle often keep me guessing.

Nothing to special this time if year, good thing is your out of the season of big tempature changes for the most part. Since there heifers just watch them close when you think there close, make sure they take the calves, and make sure the calves are getting milk.

I've never thought that breed had anything to do with calving quicker, sometimes heifers will be early, of course sometimes there not and sometimes a cow can be early.

You can't tell by looking at heifers. When I had some palpated a few years ago there was one that wasn't showing anything and I was afraid she was open. There was another one that had bagged up and looked like she could calf almost any time. The vet said they were both 6 months bred, and the one that wasn't showing calved the day before the other one. Like the other poster said, just watch them close.

Ive been checking for a mucus plug to come out but I think they still have a little bit.to go. I was also thinking near the end of December but one of the three is a lot larger than the other two and I felt of her side today and could feel the calf move everyonce in a while so I think she is closest.

SOME angus bulls calf earlier then toehrs, but so do bulls of any other breed. Sipposedly angus gestataion period is 283 days other breeds are as much as 289. Common gestation tables are basedon 283 days. The mucus plug is not a very reliable sign, some will pass it as month early others a few hourse early. The only sure sign is seeing the feet sticking out.

j&lfarms":2yt538xg said:
I've got 3 heifers due to calve in the next month. They are all bred. I had a bull with them from March 9th to April 20th. Which would mean they should calve between December 16th and January 27 give or take a week or so. Two of them are springing and have been for a week or so. The other still has not began springing. Their teets have have changed from little nubs to visible teets, but nothing has dropped yet. They are Angus heifers bred to a black Salers bull. Any body have any guesses to how long it will take them to calve. With Angus is it more common for heifers to calve early or later? Also does anyone have any tips for calving in the time period I will be in? Thanks!

At the risk of sounding flippant - when God and Mother Nature tell them to

Relax and enjoy the ride! LOL

Bez

j&lfarms":4qsvqj8c said:
This ride is making me nervous! Lol I probably shouldn't worry about it, but I am anyway lol

It only gets worse. Wait until they calve and then you drive past the field and don't see all the calves.

I've already had one calf. Try finding a 70 lb calf in 20 acres of 4ft or higher fescue. Lol I was pretty nervous that day. Glad I found him tho because he brought very well at the stock yards.

Another thing I have noticed on heifers ,is that some of them a few hours before going into labor their teets start dripping milk. I've seen this a lot a on beef heifers with nice bags. I've seen on cows as well but not as common. :tiphat: Good luck. B&G

Latest posts