when a cow produces milk...answer

Help Support CattleToday:

When is the best time cows produce milk (beef cows, dairies?)

• ...when she is eating

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ...when she laying down sleeping

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • ...when she is laying down chewing her cud

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • ...when she is standing chewing her cud

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • ...24/7..she is a milk factory for her baby

Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters

rockridgecattle

Reaction score
This is mostly for beef cows, maybe dairies are the same but if they are not enlighten me please. Most probably know this; some might not

ASSUMPTIONS

1. Post Calving...new born to weaning

2. Body score is good...not to fat not to thin

3. All mineral requirements are met

4. All nutrition requirements are met. Does not matter if it is good pasture, late or early pasture, hay, silage, grain. She is getting what she needs from what she gets

5. Weather is not a factor in this equasion.

all things being equal, when is her best production of milk
(by the way my first poll...be kind)

so yes she is a milk factory. But this is not her optimium time for manufacturing her product.

The best time is when she is laying down and chewing her cud. Not a care in the world, content, full belly.

we were at a beef seminar a few years ago. This was one of the topics of discussion. Started to ponder on it cause we had a heifer calve and she seemed poor on the milk supply.
But she was doing alot of standing, didn't really relax. Once she got comfortable with her calf, she was laying and chewing her cud more and the milk came up. Now the calf is satisfied.
guess the speaker knew what he was talking about

Amazing what the mind can remember or ponder on when staring at a cow, trying to figure..."now what?"

If the momma cow is laying down, how can the baby calf nurse on her?

pauline":26x4urv6 said:

Mama says "Get the heck outta here kid...can't you see I'm ruminating and making milk". I'll stand up, stretch, urinate, take a dump and then you can nurse".

pauline":1lh6j7i0 said:
Like this:
This cow often does this. :lol:
DSC03967.jpg

Victoria":2520h0vk said:
I've always thought she was one of our laziest cows but I guess she's just making as much milk as possible for her calves. :lol:

Maybe a combination of the two. Mom doesn't look too concerned and the baby doesn't care that it's an "uphill battle". :lol2:

Today I saw similar but just the opposite. A 2 day old buck goat was laying down and his mother was standing next to him and he was nursing like crazy.

dun":j7pox6uo said:
Today I saw similar but just the opposite. A 2 day old buck goat was laying down and his mother was standing next to him and he was nursing like crazy.

I've got a buckling that has done that - pretty much from day one - and I can't help but wonder if that is where the term "bed and breakfast/lunch/dinner" comes from. :lol:

Latest posts