wheat

Help Support CattleToday:

Calman

Reaction score
Me thinks winter wheat for grazing is just out of the question this year.The ground is dry down to about 18 inches.Now way we can get enough moisture to fix that in time to plow and plant.
We've been cleaning out and enlarging our dried out ponds just in case in the next 4 or 5 yrs we start to get some rain. :frowns:

Cal

I might add we had another big scare yesterday,a fire burned up about 700 acres before they got it under controll. It was rumered some one was running a grinder while working on a gate.
Makes ya wonder how people's mind works.

Cal

I am going to take the gamble Cal. Wheat, oats, and rye.

It aint that I got extra nickels to spend. I am hanging on to heifers thinking that next spring prices are going to be out of sight for eared females. These are pure brangus - mostly.

backhoeboogie":1u9vp8bz said:
I am going to take the gamble Cal. Wheat, oats, and rye.

It aint that I got extra nickels to spend. I am hanging on to heifers thinking that next spring prices are going to be out of sight for eared females. These are pure brangus - mostly.

I think we are just going to feed out with hay and see what happens by spring.

Cal

I planted wheat last year right at the beginning of a 3 month dry spell. A few plants finally sprouted in march of this year

We farm about 1000 acres of wheat. Last year we probably got about 3 inches the from the time it was planted til about 2 weeks before harvest. Then we got 5 inches in one day. We averaged about 25 bushels an acre. Which was a lot more then we thought we would get.

Planting in dry ground is done almost every year here, it still germinates very well when it gets enough moisture eventually. Most small grain farmers start planting at a set date every year regardless of moisture content in the soil.

Forgot to add, obviously it makes the world of difference whether you are at the start or finish of your wet season or whether you can expect any rain in winter.

KNERSIE":lw1tw4ip said:
Planting in dry ground is done almost every year here, it still germinates very well when it gets enough moisture eventually. Most small grain farmers start planting at a set date every year regardless of moisture content in the soil.

K...a lot of guys around here refer to it as "Dusting in wheat".

Latest posts