Whats wrong with Salers?

Help Support CattleToday:

capparelli

Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me what is wrong with Salers? Is seems like everyone on this board hates them, except for TurnThatCowLooseMaw! I have yet to figure out why. They add muscle, bone and eye appeal to almost anything, heck they even make LonghornX calves look good! As for being crazy, the Saler Association has pretty much culled all the crazy ones. The some of the first imports were not the nicest, but what do youexpect, the US got all the culls Canada didn't want. You cant tell me that you dont have crazy cows in every breed! What about Brahmans and Limo's, and I have been around some Angus that sure had bad attitudes. I had a Saler, GertX show heifer this year that was the easiest calf I have ever had to break. I know a man that has some Saler bulls that he turned out into the woods as yearlings and now they are going on three and they are still calm. I think the people that actually give them a chance like them, I went to a Saler sale and all of the females went from $1,800+ and the $1,800 was a open 18 month old heifer.

Don't have any feelings about them one way or another. There are good and bad animals of every breed. But why would someone try a new breed if what they have now is working well for them? As for the breed association culling the bad ones, well I have to wonder about that. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I would think it's up to the producers to cull the bad ones, not the breed association.

Anyway, whatever the breed, some people will like them, some won't. Some of that will be based on personal experience and some will be based on preconceived biases, heresay, etc.

I don't hate them, heck, we've had Salers bulls for the last 15 years and are happy with them They take a little longer to finish, but there is no calving troubles though.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":1niimk01 said:
I sing their praises for I know what they can do.

Yeah they are a hardy animal, grading wise they dont impress me as much as other breeds and most I have been around seem to be pretty high headed (probably just my dumb luck) but overall I dont hate them :cboy:

Latest posts