whats the difference hereford polled vs horned

Help Support CattleToday:

ez14

Reaction score
besides horns :lol:. it seems like some people realy dont like polled as much but why. What the pros and cons of both

Boy, talk about stirring the pot! Back when the polled Hereford first started being developed animals were basicily chosen for being polled and other traits were ignored. This pretty much meant that anything polled was kept and bread regardless of other selection criteria.
I don;t think the difference in as that much "now". Once something is considered true, no matter what is done to dispell that "truth" it will hang on for years.

Years ago polled cattle had a reputation, which was probably justified, for being poorer quality, especially the hindquarters. There was a saying "when they bred the horns off the they bred the butt off too". I don't think it's still true, but some will disagree.

TennesseeTuxedo":2m3ynnvi said:
Gotta be more to be said than that.

:pop:

If this topic doesn't stir the pot enough let's s talk about why black hides are truly a better tasting beef. :hide:

On a serious note for the OP, I raised polled Herefords and now just do some baldies. But what has been said by a couple of others is correct to my knowledge. Years ago, 60's through basically now polled breeders took their breed and went all over the frame spectrum with them. Short stocky little bricks to tall lanky no butt animals. Really screwed up the breed, while horned breeders, for the most part, stayed the course. Although they had the short little bricks in the 60's also. As a past polled breeder I think horned Herefords have the edge over polled for the most part on conformation, although the polled breed is catching up. There are a lot of mighty good looking polled Herefords around, some very good polled breeders on this board....... And some very good horned Hereford breeders here also.

Horned vs Polled has been discussed a bunch here in years past. Although I don't know how you could do a search without pulling up a few thousand off topic post. Maybe someone else can make a suggestion on that. If you can find them it's worth the read for a historical education on Herefords.

dun":rwn8jei4 said:
ez14":rwn8jei4 said:
If you were going to start a seedstock operation which would you go with
Red Angus

RED!!! But it's been proven through pages and pages of heavy, civil, debate BLACK HIDED BEEF TASTE BETTER!

Seed stock industry is a tough nut to crack, do your homework and sharpen your pencil.

ez14":35e266cx said:

Do some research with your target market to see which would sell better. Or just start with the best cattle you can afford and don't worry about whether or not they're polled.

Rafter S":9gvyzrh6 said:
ez14":9gvyzrh6 said:

Do some research with your target market to see which would sell better. Or just start with the best cattle you can afford and don't worry about whether or not they're polled.

Raise animals you'll love to have around you.

Raise animals your market wants. Listen to what your market wants w/o preconceived ideas as to what you think they might want, and listen to what they do want. For example, my market wants superior beef and could not care if it was any particular color, just so long as it tastes awesome.

Other guys raise for sale barn sales and others still for farmers' market beef. Some have branded beef or are cooperators for someone else.

Find your niche, sharpen the pencil and be prepared to work your butt off.

Everyone should be working towards polled animals. Like it or not, dehorning is going to be a major issue in the future. Properly done procedures, performed by vets with pain medication. Its coming.

Using polled bulls for commercial calves always makes more sense to me. One less thing you have to mess with!

Supa Dexta":1nvxb3pi said:
Everyone should be working towards polled animals. Like it or not, dehorning is going to be a major issue in the future. Properly done procedures, performed by vets with pain medication. Its coming.
Soon or later, there will be plenty of GMO "polled" horned herefords available for us.

Supa Dexta":3ljlcmga said:
What A minute you mean to tell me that I wont' be able to walk up to them while they in in the gate and take my loppers and cut them them off ! Will there be horn police driving buy looking for tip cattle.

Is there someone watching you every second of the day currently, to ensure you don't do anything illegal?

But get caught and its gonna cost you. Castration is already heading that way, and new rules are coming for us up here regarding when and how we can do it. Parts of europe already have this in place. And if you think animal rights pressure is going to subside in the coming years, you're foolish. I'm not pushing for it, but I am warning you its coming.

Used to AI an Angus base to PH and HH bulls. HHX calves always brought more because they added stretch and height. PH were not bad, just more like the Angus in type.

Supa Dexta":2jk57bdw said:
Now if they could just come up with cattle that were eunuchs at birth.