whats the best protein to supplement?

Help Support CattleToday:

Now it's time to confuse you more. Some protein stay in the Rumen and break down the roughage. Some will pass through and help the body, or go to milk production. I had alot of 1st calf heifers so I used supplement dairymen use. It had Corn Gluten pellets, Corn chops, Soybean Meal (47%), soybean Hull pellett. The soybean meal protien really helps milk production. Heifers and calves look super. I feed about 2 lbs/hd/day,as that what it calls for when I tested my hay and did the calculations. Alot of guys around her supplement with 1/3 Corn Gluten pellets, 1/3 soybean Hull pellets, and 1/3 corn. Test your hay & Figure out what you need for protien & energy and you'll be able to figure out how much too feed.
Don't know if I've helped but your local extension office could show you how to do the calcs. Good luck. It's easy.

The best protein supplement there is, is the one that's growing in the pasture you don't have to carry it or haul it. The cows do all of that for you.

JMichal":31t90qo4 said:
Now it's time to confuse you more. Some protein stay in the Rumen and break down the roughage. Some will pass through and help the body, or go to milk production. I had alot of 1st calf heifers so I used supplement dairymen use. It had Corn Gluten pellets, Corn chops, Soybean Meal (47%), soybean Hull pellett. The soybean meal protien really helps milk production. Heifers and calves look super. I feed about 2 lbs/hd/day,as that what it calls for when I tested my hay and did the calculations. Alot of guys around her supplement with 1/3 Corn Gluten pellets, 1/3 soybean Hull pellets, and 1/3 corn. Test your hay & Figure out what you need for protien & energy and you'll be able to figure out how much too feed.
Don't know if I've helped but your local extension office could show you how to do the calcs. Good luck. It's easy.
Great info Thanks
How about creep feed?

Latest posts