What's my next move?

Help Support CattleToday:

call your coop ask prices , IMO don't ask for bag prices

you need 100# of N (34% Ammonia nitrate ) to acre
120# TSP (46% P2O5 ) to acre

multiply by your acreage and get them to price you by the ton

That's very typical for central Texas.
If you're over budget you can do half this year half next.

We spread five ton of 30-10-0 this morning. When my son returns the spreader he'll pay my bill. I'll report back but I expect somewhere round 400.00 a ton.

Just hung up and it's not nearly as bad as I thought. Around $550 w/spreader for 12 acres. Is it too early now to spread? Supposed to rain most of next week.

callmefence":2imxxcc9 said:
That's very typical for central Texas.
If you're over budget you can do half this year half next.

We spread five ton of 30-10-0 this morning. When my son returns the spreader he'll pay my bill. I'll report back but I expect somewhere round 400.00 a ton.

422 a ton...

That's not a bad analysis. I put on a 50-45-30 on 120 acres today, that one hurt. New ground i just took over. Guys around here think you can just throw some N out and bale it twice a year for 30 years. Then go around complaining all they can grow is foxtail.
Other place needs 7500lbs of lime, but I think I can get the landowner to help out on that

slick4591":1wmsvgcj said:
Just hung up and it's not nearly as bad as I thought. Around $550 w/spreader for 12 acres. Is it too early now to spread? Supposed to rain most of next week.
Your virtually wasting your money here until the nighttime temps get above 60 degrees. Just giving the weeds a jump start.

i just looked at wholesale prices..

these should be a good average your coop is charging.

Potash - 330.00
Phosphorus - 360.00
Urea 350.00

per ton.

I'm kinda hoping to get things right and get good stuff growing and bad stuff eliminated. Don't really know how all that's going to work, but I have some coastal and the rest is native that I don't even know the proper name for. I have one area where it's mostly buttercup and more weeds that needs a lot of work. Some areas where the coastal is doing well and other where the needle grass and other natives thrive. Pretty much dedicated myself to major improvements this year as I'd like to improve stocking rates.

That's going to be a few days until we get to a sustained 60. He's quoting around $500 for the entire 12 acres. That don't sound bad.

slick4591":3f6knr5m said:
I'm kinda hoping to get things right and get good stuff growing and bad stuff eliminated. Don't really know how all that's going to work, but I have some coastal and the rest is native that I don't even know the proper name for. I have one area where it's mostly buttercup and more weeds that needs a lot of work. Some areas where the coastal is doing well and other where the needle grass and other natives thrive. Pretty much dedicated myself to major improvements this year as I'd like to improve stocking rates.

Did you check with Gary Wrede, Eldorado Chem. Whiteright (903) 461-1355? Gondola NC or rental depends on load size last time I used him; 24 hr. max return policy. He sells the Gotcha Plus Super Sudan Sorghum seed too at $20-25-50 lb bag, using a bag per acre.

On your pasture, cows love wire grass, JG, Buttercups, rye, fescue, coastal and the brushy ground cover that comes up in the fall with the little white and pink flowers with the yellow center. Do a 1-2% 2-4-D Amine 400 at about 15 gal per acre this spring as soon as broadleafs show several leaves. Wait till April, just before a soaking rain and put out what you can afford, N for sure, P can be light as you already have the plants established, and not too much K if you are in acid blackland as I am.

Keep the cows off it till it's about 8" or so and let here go.

Texasmark":b7zrjw95 said:
slick4591":b7zrjw95 said:

Did you check with Gary Wrede, Eldorado Chem. Whiteright (903) 461-1355? Gondola NC or rental depends on load size last time I used him; 24 hr. max return policy. He sells the Gotcha Plus Super Sudan Sorghum seed too at $20-25-50 lb bag, using a bag per acre.

On your pasture, cows love wire grass, JG, Buttercups, rye, fescue, coastal and the brushy ground cover that comes up in the fall with the little white and pink flowers with the yellow center. Do a 1-2% 2-4-D Amine 400 at about 15 gal per acre this spring as soon as broadleafs show several leaves. Wait till April, just before a soaking rain and put out what you can afford, N for sure, P can be light as you already have the plants established, and not too much K if you are in acid blackland as I am.

Very informative Mark. But that's very high for haygrazer seed.

callmefence":3agqkwhj said:
Texasmark":3agqkwhj said:
slick4591":3agqkwhj said:

On your pasture, cows love wire grass, JG, Buttercups, rye, fescue, coastal and the brushy ground cover that comes up in the fall with the little white and pink flowers with the yellow center. Do a 1-2% 2-4-D Amine 400 at about 15 gal per acre this spring as soon as broadleafs show several leaves. Wait till April, just before a soaking rain and put out what you can afford, N for sure, P can be light as you already have the plants established, and not too much K if you are in alkaline blackland as I am.

Very informative Mark. But that's very high for haygrazer seed.
This isn't your "run of the mill" SS. I have pictures of one of my crops a few years ago. If I can understand how to load on this network I'll post them....will post this reply and see what I can do.

Guess I was thinking the cost would be a lot more than the $500, so I'll do it all when it's time. I'm not interested in growing hay as I have to depend on others to cut, rake and bale it. Doesn't always work out. I called the Greenville co-op to get pricing. They are a few miles closer and better road to travel with the buggy. I called one of the weeds buttercup earlier, but they are those white and pink flowered weeds. Yes, I'll be on top of spraying this year. Thanks!

Slick, if you are going to fertilize Bermuda, wait until the night time temperatures average 58 to 60 degrees for 3 to 4 nights. That typically is the last week of April or the first week of May here in Van Zandt County. You are about an hour NW of us.

Thanks for the advice! My pasture is a mess as it has areas of decent Bermuda and some where it's non-existent. Lots of native stuff in areas and one spot where it's pretty void of anything except for the pink and white flower weeds. I would like to over seed in areas but I really don't know what would do well with what I have to work with.

Can you lightly disk the areas that is not producing good grass. You might want to try one of the seeded bermuda varieties. Some produce almost as well as coastal. A light dose of 2,4-D after the grass is growing will keep weeds under control.

I was thinking of lightly running the disc over the entire pasture before putting out the fertilizer, then seed it. I'd run a harrow over all of that. My thing about Bermuda is keeping it moist enough to germinate and grow. I know I run that risk with any of it, but I understand Bermuda is not as tolerant as some other grasses.